1949 Plymouth Oil Line Routing

CCooper
Go to solution Solved by CCooper,

I've owned a '48 Plymouth Sedan (with '49 engine) for 42 years.  Paid $25 for the car.  I did some work on the car recently and didn't take pictures before I started.  Now I'm having a senior moment and I'm not sure of the oil line routing.  Where is the best place to find oil line routing diagram.  I have searched online for some time and cannot find it yet.

Thanks,

CCooper

To add to what Don has said, here is a pic of the engine.

As a point of reference:   The blue arrow points to the dipstick.

The red arrow points to the supply (pressure)

The green arrow points to the return (directly above the pressure relief valve and spring)

Another point of reference:  The yellow arrow is pointing to the starter.

And as Don said, not all filter canisters are the same. Look for inlet marking on it.

I believe that most returns were from the bottom, with the input high on the side, but there are oddities. My understanding is that this was a dealer install/option, or later install, so there were different canisters used.

You could post a pic of the canister if in doubt, and possibly get some relevant answers.

post-80-0-50613900-1454685342_thumb.jpg

Edited by shel_ny
  • Like 1

Big help folks!  All the information is very helpful.  It looks to me that the oil pressure line to the instrument panel connects at the rear of the engine.  Any picture by any chance?

Thanks,

CCooper

This "pic" shows the connection ( line, and flex hose) as indicated in Don's "diagram".  Connection is at the same height as the pressure to the filter.  There are 4, or 5 plugs located at that height between the front and back of the engine. The rear one is likely the most convenient for connecting the gauge, but you could actually connect to any of those.

post-80-0-65476900-1454728361_thumb.jpg

Edited by shel_ny