Replace 218 engine with a 230.

Reze

hello everybody

i did some progress on the plymouth during the past months.

got the motor in, after some engine work.

i painted the firewall and did many small things.

yesterday i tried to start the engine, but i could not get oil pressor.

after i tried 2-3 times, the 12V battery was discharged , and i also think i need a new starter. he blocked sometimes.

i will try to make it work with the hammer. but i'm sure i need a new one.

can enyone recommend me an new starter?

sorry for my english, i hope you understand what i want to tell you ;) .

Here are some pictures of the progress.

26338648xp.jpg

greetings andré

What kind of freeze plugs are those?

those are probably made by Dorman or by a company along the same specs as Dorman and are of the emergency repair type to get you off the side of the road and to the home/shop for proper repair....these tend to be over tightened and once done so will not POP as per original design to prevent swelling/cracking of a block...while out of the vehicle and with ready access, I personally recommend putting stock discs back into the block...but as it is another person's car. each view things differently...I will say that these should not ever leak...stay on top of the coolant protection range for the area's climate you are operating

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

here is a close picture of the freeze plug.

26395874jj.jpg

i repaired the starter.

i'm happy i solved that problem.

26396002ij.jpg

now i still have no oil pressure. i disconnected the hose of the oil pressure gauge, but there comes no oil when i try to turn the engine.
i removed the oil pump and fill the pump with oil. still no oilpressure. i tried the same with the other pump, but i do not have oil pressure.

any idea, what i should try next?

i'm happy for any suggestion.

• Like 1

Off the wall question, but where do you have the pressure gauge hooked up to the motor? Have you used a known good gauge to that connection?

Just throwing that out as an idea.

DJ

Edited by DJ194950

those are probably made by Dorman or by a company along the same specs as Dorman and are of the emergency repair type to get you off the side of the road and to the home/shop for proper repair....these tend to be over tightened and once done so will not POP as per original design to prevent swelling/cracking of a block...while out of the vehicle and with ready access, I personally recommend putting stock discs back into the block...but as it is another person's car. each view things differently...I will say that these should not ever leak...stay on top of the coolant protection range for the area's climate you are operating

Thanks. I looked into them a little further and it seems they are a permanent type plug, but can see where a concern would be with not relieving the the forces from freezing (not an issue where I live). I tried calling, but for some reason, the East coast vendors close about 3 hours earlier than us West coasters. :cool: I like the way the copper looks with Reze's black engine block. Here's a link, for anyone interested:

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-1011-02483.aspx?origin=keyword

Those plugs should never be considered a failsafe against a cracked block or head.  Doesn't matter which style is used or if it pushed out, the block can still crack.

• 11 months later...