I promise I read through all the past threads.... Pertronix confusion with pictures

Tatback
Go to solution Solved by DonaldSmith,

If you Have spark at the coil big wire to a ground when cranking then the Pertonix Is electronically making and breaking the connections between the smaller Neg. and pos. at the coil.

That is all it does and replaces exactly what points do.

When the spark comes out of the coil it is directed back to the distributor cap where the rotor makes the connections to the correct plugs as it turns.

Tells me you have a problem with the dist. cap or the rotor.

Check the button (spring loaded in the dist, cap center) or a broken or not turning rotor (broken idexing lug inside rotor?)

Things to check.

Happy hunting, does not sound to hard- hope!

DJ

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update: The pertronix was the problem. I got another distributor from a friend. Installed it and the car fired right up. Just need to get the timing corrected and it's good to go

2 hours ago, CoronetGuy said:

Update: The pertronix was the problem. I got another distributor from a friend. Installed it and the car fired right up. Just need to get the timing corrected and it's good to go

What was the problem with the Petronix? Was it new?

5 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

What was the problem with the Petronix? Was it new?

I don't know what the problem was with it. It was in the car for about 2 years. Bought brand new

Pertronix is having some problems with the Ignitors, I've burned up five of them within a year, two were prototypes. Eight weeks ago one of the engineers was going to send me two more prototypes to try in "two weeks". 

19 minutes ago, plyroadking said:

Pertronix is having some problems with the Ignitors, I've burned up five of them within a year, two were prototypes. Eight weeks ago one of the engineers was going to send me two more prototypes to try in "two weeks". 

Where any of these the New style that reads the lobes of the distributor where the points rode rather than the type with the ring with the magnets that fit over the lobes in the distributor??

I have only used the Old?? type with the magnets in a ring with great luck.

Thanks,

DJ

They are the style with the plastic ring, it's on a 41 buick with a straight 8, same Ignitor just a different distributor plate and 8 magnets in the plastic ring.

I put one on my 40 plymouth 4? Years ago and it's been great! I do now however carry a spare distributor with points in the trunk.

• Like 1