48 P-15 Frame Stub

VCustoms
Go to solution Solved by Plymouthy Adams,

Well it has been a long time since I have posted on here. Its hard to think that I bought my Plymouth 3 years ago and I am just now getting to it. Guess that's what happens when you knock out a Bachelors and Masters in 4 years. Now that I have time for the car I have been going over it more and more. My rearend is an Exploder 8.8 (3.73, Posi, discs). Motivation is 383/727 combo. Now here is where the fun begins. I have spent the last few days going back an forth on the front end. First thought was Fatman but $2500 isn't possible. Then it was rebuild what's there, add discs, add R&P, and go from there. I am still well over $1k and using R&P on something not designed with that in mind. Now I am considering a Dakota frame stub. It would make the engine fitment a bit easier. Parts are more readily available. Steering setup would make me a bit more comfortable with putting the family in the car and it would be a cost savings now and later. I know there are those who are against the frame stub. Trust me I have searched every post about this and anything close to this and I know I shooting for a small group to answer. I know the pros and cons of all the options. Is there anyone who can tell me what it would take to do the Dakota frame stub? What year first gen Dakota do I need for discs? Not looking to do a complete frame swap either.

• Solution

pre 49 car and the Dakota is not that simple but then again not that hard...you will need the time, space and equipment to do this work....to think it will just cut and fit is a mistake...many things go into making this set up work..consider these few items before you plunge....front bumper hanging is a major weld and fabrication for safety sake...steering will entail late model column or major rework of stock unit..engine cradle is too far forward and requires major modification left and right mounts refardless if 6 or 8 donor....your original frame is tapered for this year and thus the later Dak is best suited..however you are 6 lugs on this setup..prepare to brunt that change cost and application...be prepared to make serious changes to you original frame to be able to receive the later clip, watch rotor size (donor year app)..this will dictate the rim diameter you can run.  Suggest taking firewall and front floor pan of donor for grafting this is a necessity if you using the donor components for total upgrade.  Inner fenders will require total rework if you desire a closed compartment alsong with the rad support frame and the batwings not to mention hood support if you wish to hang AC condenser forward of the forward mounted radiator.....one thing is a plus going this method..the frames when joined properly will continue the original center line, original body mounts can be reused when you measure from the stock frame trammel points forward..and the stance is just about 3/4 lower with the Dak in the front...adds to nice rake..cost of the Dak..very little compared to the Fatman..don not forget that the Fatman base IFS is as you said a good 2500.00 you have to add the Fatman front frame stubs to this and again all the welding as I mentioned with the Dak comes into play..a feature not usually advertised up front.

for simplicity...the front suspension of the older Plymouth is still very much capable today...you may want to revisit the R&P, disc and shock relocation of your original frame....you may be miles ahead..not sure of your local wrecking parts prices and availability..but your estimated1000.00 is probably fair but you get all new parts for the brakes this method...you will be able to keep your stock rims and hubcap look also..think hard before you start..no turning back when you cut..... Now if you just got to be different and go Dak...grab it good luck...it is very much doable...quite an enjoyable venture..be honest with you....it is quite involved, not hard, just involved..but the DIY reward is most satisfying...

• Like 3

Thanks Plymouthy. A lot of what you said is what I was planning on. The work, tools, time, and space don't worry me. I am plenty prepared for that. I am just trying to explore all options and your response was FINALLY what I was looking for. Thank you again sir.