Another reason to dislike LA freeways and other rambling thoughts

TodFitch

Just got done with going up to the SF Bay Area, getting my '33 PD out of storage and driving it to the new house. A distance of about 450 miles.

We came down US101 but I wasn't keen on following the navigation app's suggested route of keeping on US101 ("the" Ventura Freeway to "the" Hollywood Freeway) to the four level in downtown LA so we cut off in Camarillo and took CA 1 (PCH) through Malibu then picked up I-10 to "the" San Diego Freeway (I-405). I am going to have to get used to "the" being prepended to all freeway names again. That is definitely a Southern California thing which is not done in the Bay Area.

California freeways show the effects of deferred maintenance. (Less gas tax being collected than years ago due to cars getting higher MPG and on an inflation adjusted basis the funding is way down but any suggestion of remedying that is shouted down. In fact, we had a governor recalled largely because he let a temporary reduction of the vehicle taxes lapse.) I think the LA area freeways are in worse shape than in the Bay Area and even without obvious broken pavement or chuck holes, I-405 from Santa Monica to someplace south of LAX is horrible. Especially horrible in a car with a suspension designed 83 years ago. While that stretch around LAX is memorably bad, there are lots of other rough sections of pavement all over. So in addition to the LA traffic, a reason to avoid the freeways is the uncomfortable ride.

One of my two issues on the drive down occurred after hitting a particularly bad bump: The engine lost power. Not electrical as I could pump the accelerator pedal and get a little power so some spark was occurring to ignite the gas provided by that. Took the next off ramp and the problem cleared itself before the end of the ramp. Nothing obviously wrong under the hood and the car ran fine for the remaining 40 miles home. I am guessing a bit of dirt it the carburetor got stirred up. I haven't done anything to that carb in nearly 30,000 miles and a lot of years. Probably time to take it off and clean it out.

I figured out a way to not worry too much about the LA freeway traffic as I did not want to go much above 60 MPH: In California large trucks are limited to 55 MPH which in practice means most of them are moving along at between 60 and 65 MPH. Right at the upper end of my comfortable long distance cruising speed. So just tuck in behind one leaving enough braking distance and watch the miles pass by. There will be idiots who will dive through your safe following distance to get to exits so you can't be entirely asleep, but you won't be blamed for slowing down traffic.

I didn't notice any abusive gestures aimed my way and I did notice lots of thumbs up, waves and smiles. So I guess this strategy works.

Watching traffic, and particularly people's reactions to my car, can be interesting. Or frightening. Near Laguna Niguel I was in the #4 lane doing about 60 MPH when I notice a fellow in the #2 lane suddenly brake down to my speed pull out a cell phone and take a photo of my car. Not sure what the person behind him was saying after having to do some emergency braking to avoid tail ending the picture taker, but I expect it contained some language that is not suitable for this forum.

Only other real issue on the drive down was that on a section of US101 with rough pavement near Camp Roberts my radiator cap/mascot decided that it could part company with my car. Given the aged pot metal construction and the way it bounced in pieces on the pavement it did not seem worth stopping and going back to get it. Time to look for some money to buy a reproduction.

• Like 8

I don't drive south of "The Grapevine" except at dire necessity.

I ain't had a necessity that dire in some 18 years now.  ;)

I did go by plane once about 5 years ago. That nearly ended in disaster over Lake Perris, and we made an emergency landing at March AFB with a cracked fuel line.

Edited by Ulu

Born and bred west of Boston, however I'm in LA frequently enough for work to drive the 405, 101, and 110.  I usually stay in the Marina and travel to my office over near the staples center weekdays.  Before I had my first trip out 10 years ago I recall folks saying how bad the traffic was.  I proudly claim that Boston traffic is 10 time worse and New England prepared me well for what I found out there. 

. . . I assume somewhere South of OC.  Lotsa fun stuff to do with cars in South OC and North OC with very little Fwy requirement.

Southern most Orange County. Googling my location tag line should get you the town.

We are still settling into the new (to us) house and I haven't yet had time to explore the back roads in the area but have looked at some maps and I see possibilities that should be investigated. 

Born and bred west of Boston, however I'm in LA frequently enough for work to drive the 405, 101, and 110. I usually stay in the Marina and travel to my office over near the staples center weekdays. Before I had my first trip out 10 years ago I recall folks saying how bad the traffic was. I proudly claim that Boston traffic is 10 time worse and New England prepared me well for what I found out there.

I hear you brother..... I live 12miles from work and this morning it took me 20min to get to work!

Just ribbin ya :) I don't know how you folks put up with that kind of traffic........ :D

Edited by Brent B3B