53 B4GA power brakes?

natetron9

Evening Guys,

New to Dodge trucks and this forum. I have been reading a great deal and haven't  found any discussion about power brakes. The truck I just purchased had the brakes plumbed around the "brake booster" wondering how much it affects brake performance. The front brake lines are currently rotted and I will be replacing to make the truck drive able. Any input would be appreciated about this.

Thanks,

Nate-

with the booster, i can lock up all six wheels on my B-1-F.  i doubt i could do it without the vacuum booster, unless i used extreme pedal effort (even then, i don't know).

check the line routing carefully, though.  they should run from the master cylinder, to the remote booster, then to the front & rear to the brakes.

You need the brake booster to be easily able to stop your empty or fully loaded truck.

The booster on my semi was rusted out and we took it out and used only the master cylinder.  The brakes work ok but I usually had my trailer on and always used the trailer brake controller to stop.  I bought a very clean parts truck and I am planning on changing that this spring.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated.  Do I take it apart or just sand it up and paint it.  I have all the lines to copy so I think I know how to plumb it. 

Todd B

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I have the brakes temporarily fixed. They work but it takes quite a bit of force on the pedal to stop. I have sent the brake booster out to be rebuilt. I will install it properly once it comes back. Curious to see the difference

Nate-