Hogs Hair Carpet Piping/Edging

Tom Skinner

Gents,

I am considering getting Hogs Hair Carpeting for my 1948 Chrysler Royal, the previous owner installed loop carpet.

The loop carpet piping or edging looks tacky/plastic. I was considering Bill Hirsch's Hogshair Carpet.

When I go to his website I don't see any edging/piping availabe. I will call them next week - but to my question -

does anybody know a source for a brown/chesnut fabric piping besides Hirsch if he doesn't carry any?

Thanks.

Tom

Huntersville, North Carolina

Don't have an answer for you, but LeBaron Bonney comes to mind.  Might check there.

Edited by 46Ply

Piping can be cut out of any cloth material if not already available.

You can buy door opening windlace with the closest match material , slice it open to remove the foam core and use that material.

I have had to do that.

Generally piping or edging is 1-1/4" wide.

Any upholsterer can trim your carpet the way you want if you are not doing it.

I was thinking of hand stitching it in myself, why would I want to pay someone to do the stitching when the hogshair carpet costs so much?

To make sure its done right! B) And if its not, they hold the bag not you.

Edited by jrhoads

Several years ago I bought car and boat carpet from a local flooring store.  The carpet matched the brown hogshair carpeting in my car. The price was reasonable.  Somewhere in ancient history is my posting on it.  Maybe search "hogshair" and see what comes up.   

Donald,

I found your old post:

"In response to a personal request, I looked up the "hogshair" carpet I bought eleven years ago, and got the latest info from the local flooring place, Fairway Tile & Carpet in Clawson, Michigan (the color I bought is discontinued, but check out what they have): 

CDC Distributors, "Mount Vernon".  Call 800-678-2321, and punch 2 for the Order Desk.  They can give you the names of distributors who are local to you, who can show you samples, or maybe even have color swatches on line. "

Thanks!

Tom