Scam Alert: Charles Nasby

a_gunslinger

Im new to this group (and cars overall).  Received a great deal of help on a D24 front end Im going to make a lighted wall hanger ;^)

http://p15-d24.com/topic/39989-total-noob-trying-to-salvage-remnants-of-1948-dodge-d24-i-think/?p=422921

I was looking for a bumper and was approached by a guy off this site named Charles Nasby.  Short story is I sent funds and never received the item.  In hindsight I should know better.  But because I was approached from and thru such a narrowly specific group as this that distracted me.  He was very responsive with lots of emails - until he got the money of course.

The details of his emails makes me think he really does do some auto salvage and because he knows car collecting he prays on groups like this.  His info is below should you ever encounter him.  Also posting the personal info on him in case it helps anyone.

Being net savvy I have hunted down a lot of info on him including current address, past address, spoke with landlords, spoke with businesses he claimed to be involved with, etc.  Filed report with police and will soon have copy of the license his wife used for the pickup from Moneygram.  At the least he will have a warrant.  Lot of work for $200 but its the principle.

CHARLES NASBY <charlesnasby660@gmail.com>

Wife Terrie Nasby (who will pick up the Western Union or Moenygram)

Current address, verified:

Charles and Terrie Nasby
505 7TH STREET
IMPERIAL BEACH CA 91932

Address he may use:

1. 656 Seacoast Dr, Imperial Beach, CA 91932
  2. Apache Trailer Park 1674 Palm Ave Spc 38 San Diego, CA 92154-106

In emails claimed he shares a space with After Collision Services, real place near where he lives.  They, of course, dont know him.  

Says he owns a scrap yard and he is the dismantler.

Hope this helps someone.

• Like 1

Sorry this happened to you.  This is one big reason I never use Western Union/Money Gram.. just no recourse on getting funds back if something goes wrong.  With PayPal you at least have a chance to either do a dispute (with PayPal) of if they don't budge do a chargeback with the credit card (if paid that way)

Thanks for the heads up on this scammer and hopefully karma gets him back.

Never never never use WU /money gram for anything.

When I ask for specific photos of the exact part that is offered the 'seller' usually goes away because he doesn't have the part in the first place. Had a few try to use pics off of the web but could not provide something like a detail shot of a particular location I choose at randon...just sayin....

Several times a year I get emails from parties who have stumbled across my posts (or ads in the local Plymouth Club bulletin) looking for parts and who supposedly have the part.  It can be pretty humorous.  I was looking for a Chrysler straight 8 and the person sent me a photo of a Buick engine.  I was able to found the photo on ebay in about 5 minutes.  Today it was this:

Subject: Wanted: 1946-48 Chrysler M5 transmission and fluid coupling with 10” clutch plate. Need everything between engine and driveline.

Happy New Year !!!

I am very delighted to source out your ADVERT request on the subject
line as I have lots of spares to throw in the market. Let me know what
you are looking to purchase and I will get back to you with what is
available. What's your phone number? E-mail me on
ian.bremmer016@gmail.com
Cheers,

Ian Bremmer
Devon United Kingdom

A transmission from the UK?!  The names change, but the scam is always the same.  Pretty easy to spot.  It's one reason I don't use my home email address in ads, only a secondary Hotmail address.

• Like 1

Yup, not my shining moment.  The irony is I work in IT and used to scam scammers for fun.  But there was something so well timed and specific to this bumper request that made me not even question it wasnt from someone internal.   

I will get some enjoyment from making his life hell for a while. Maybe he will think twice. The letter to his wife and landlord will be an aggravation.  The police have requested the  copy of the his wife's drivers license used to pick up the funds from Moneygram which I will get.  That should be fun as well.  And in the end, while the California police wont do much, there will be a warrant for their arrest or questioning should they ever get pulled over :rolleyes:

• Like 1

not his first rodeo.....I just typed in his name followed by a comma and the word scam...this popped up immediately....as it is the hamb...language alerts are in order...open only if you can handle this garbage...

http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/beware-scammer-charles-nasby.999762/

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 2

Thanks Plymouth.  He will be throwing his wife under the bus on this one since its her drivers license on file.  Classy guy.

The people at the trailer park office said he just moved a month ago.  They knew them.  I will find them ;^)

• Like 3

Yep, there was something about it appearing with all the other offers I got from this server and my post that I just assumed it was a PM from one of the groups members.  What funny is I have a a handful of bogus checks I received from scammers when I would scam them (scamming the scammers).  I would post motorcycle or some such on craigslist and in no time I would have a scammer wanting to pay more the bike, offer to send me a check for partial payment if I fronted the rest.  I would get a real looking check, kind of impressive.

Cant believe I fell for this ;^)