My 1950 Dodge Coronet Build Thread!!!

JonathanEme

Hello all, My name is Jonathan Eme, I am 31 and live in Manteca, CA. I currently work for Lexus of Pleasanton as a Service Consultant, a Hendrick Automotive company. I am married and have twin daughters. I've mainly been building fast Dodge Neon SRT-4's, but have had a passion for anything with wheels, obsessive even. My wife and I recently bought an original(rough shape) 1950 Dodge Coronet(Mopar fan) and I wanted to showcase the build here, as well as learn about the culture surrounding these types of vehicles and possibly make some friends along the way. I look forward to being a lifelong member. Current plans include a 5.7 hemi, ran on megasquirt pro, mustang II front clip(unless i can make this setup work with coil overs), discs all around, 4 link, complete custom interior, and frame-off repair. This will not be traditional in anyway. The body will retian mostly stock lines and wheel/tire style, but I plan to have a 650-700hp tank to cruise around via a built turbocharged engine. I hope to learn a lot about these cars and have fun while building it(it will be a long build, ha). Thank you for looking.

Day one after bringing it home and cutting out the front seat. From what I know, the car is 100% original, been sitting 22+ years outside. I filled a 35 gallon trash can with rat feces, it smells horribly.

The car is in horrible shape, but I wish I could find more history on it.

Edited by JonathanEme
  • Like 2

Welcome! I thought I was the only one that bought stuff as rough as that.

Sounds like you have some pretty ambitious plans,and I can only wish you well and suggest you start a build thread so we can all subscribe and follow along.

I also want to suggest that you don't throw away ANY original part because there is bound to be somebody here that wants or needs it. Make a list of the stuff you take off that you know you won't be re-using and put it up for sale on the sale or swap board here.

• Like 1

Welcome! I thought I was the only one that bought stuff as rough as that.

Sounds like you have some pretty ambitious plans,and I can only wish you well and suggest you start a build thread so we can all subscribe and follow along.

I also want to suggest that you don't throw away ANY original part because there is bound to be somebody here that wants or needs it. Make a list of the stuff you take off that you know you won't be re-using and put it up for sale on the sale or swap board here.

I was looking around to start a build thread and intended on using this post.... Is that a no-no? The H.A.M.B. guys are not as nice... haha

I was looking around to start a build thread and intended on using this post.... Is that a no-no? The H.A.M.B. guys are not as nice... haha

Dunno if it is a no-no or not (catchy pop song title,huh?),but I THINK it would probably be best to start a new dedicated thread with a title something like "My 50 Dodge Coronet Build Thread. That way people who would be interested (which is pretty much everybody here) would immediately know it was a build thread,and open it and subscribe.

Don't let the fact that most of us here tend to lean towards the driver restoration side of things fool you. You may be surprised at all the help and suggestions you will receive as you hot rod your Dodge.

"The HAMB guys are not so nice."  Yeah,that's one way of putting it.

To be completely honest,this is,IMHO,the best and most friendly car board on the internet. I know for a fact it is the best and most friendly one I have ever visited,and I've been posting and viewing here for a while now. As long as you don't start scraping or purposely destroying left over original parts that are usable,chances are you will get no grief from anyone. I can only speak for myself,but if I see you doing that,I will be on you like a doberman on a pork chop.

Otherwise you are good to go.

BTW,why not just copy and paste your opening post here along with the links to all the photos on your build thread? This thread can then disappear from non-use,and everybody can just pick up from where you left off.

ALMOST EVERYTHING besides the body is for sale. 

lights(broken)

engine/trans

diff

drive shaft

radiator (OEM)

spare head

light rings

trim(maybe)

pedals

column will eventually

brakes will eventually

i will start a separate for sale thread

Edited by JonathanEme

Welcome from So Cal, where there is no such thing as winter. Start a classified ad for all your parts, so this thread does not locked. Sounds like some good plans I'll be following. There's at least 1 thread currently on the main page with a 5.7 HEMI, sure you've seen it already.

Welcome from So Cal, where there is no such thing as winter. Start a classified ad for all your parts, so this thread does not locked. Sounds like some good plans I'll be following. There's at least 1 thread currently on the main page with a 5.7 HEMI, sure you've seen it already.

thanks!

reading the hemi thread now actually :)

Welcome!  I echo the comments offered by several others.  There are a few blokes here who are a little less than comfortable with the idea of "Hot Rodding"  :eek:  our Mopars.  However, they are good soles and generous with their information in spite of our puzzling ways.

In my opinion,...a build thread is a "requirement".  Good luck, welcome and keep us posted.

Edited by mrwrstory

day 2!

Day two, and I have to admit, I'm pretty proud. Frame-off, no lift, no help. Just some stilts and an engine hoist clear.png

BTW, I'm pretty confident this car spent some time in water. I have found POUNDS of sand in the body. Can anyone tell me the body style of the car, the chassis code?

For Sale thread coming soon...

updates will continue as they're done, but this will be a long thread.

I started my for sale thread if anyone is interested.

Today, I was able to remove the rest of the floor(on the frame) near the pedals. I also got the pedals along with the brake master cylinder and linkages involved off. My next goal is to remove the rear differential and rear suspension. Pics will follow