39 P8 Steering Column Swap - R7 OD

Lloyd
Go to solution Solved by Jim Yergin,

Past couple years I've been looking at putting an OD trans in my 39 P8. I've found that the 39 is a transition year and kinda special in a number of ways. One of which is the shift linkage. Mine is on the column where I would like to leave it and has one shifting rod to the trans side and a cable that attaches to the trans top plate. An R6 OD would fit right in with few mods but these OD's are proving difficult to find. In fact I have only come across 2 in the last 2 years. One out of my price range and the other didn't want to sell. So I'm looking at plan B. I have an R7 but the original linkage will not work. Its been suggested to me twice now to swap the steering column out along with shift linkage to a 1940-48. This would give me the linkage I need.

I may have an opportunity to get another steering column.

I was hoping someone that knows about this kind of swap could chime in with some helpful advice. Like first of all would it be a direct fit for the steering column? Its also limited space where the MC and clutch linkage are mounted so the new shift linkage would need to get past that configuration - will it? Is the MC and clutch mounting configuration the same from 39 to 48?

I'm told the R7 and R10 are the same dims so if anyone has put an R10 in a 39 and swapped out the column this might help as well.

Attached a couple pics of my original and the R7.

post-6384-0-26920900-1453062356_thumb.jpg

post-6384-0-30394300-1453062867_thumb.jpg

Well, its been a day and no response so I dont guess anyone has any direct experience with this particular modification. Its not a common thing I know.

I'm trying to get the column shift linkage I need for an R7 OD into a 39 P8.

The steering column I can get will be out of a 46, 47 or 48 Plymouth with linkage. So perhaps anyone that has a 46, 47 or 48 Plymouth could tell me if the MC and clutch linkage is located in the same place as 1939 or has it been moved?

Some pics of the steering column with shift linkage on a 46, 47 or 48 would be appreciated.

Lloyd,

I think the MC on the P15s is under the floor behind the brake pedal. On my '41, and I assume your '38, the MC was in front of the brake pedal under the steering column. Also, I think the shift rod was on the side of the column on the P15s but on the top of the column on my '41. Hope that is correct and is of some help.

Jim Yergin

Hey Jim, thanks. So the MC on the P15 is mounted below the floorboard and not on the firewall? Like below your feet?

If your 41 has the same location for clutch and MC and you have 2 shifting bars that go back to your trans? If so then that should work for what I'm doing..

Yes on my 39 the MC is in front of the brake pedal just below the steering column along with the clutch torque shaft and linkage. Kinda like one big ball of wax right there. I have a single shift bar that goes between that conglomeration and the bell housing back to the trans. The new column will have 2 shift bars that need to go back to the trans. So I am hoping to get a column with shifting bars that will fit thru the same hole between the conglomeration and the bell housing.

I wish I could do a side by side comparison with my car and some others.

Edited by Lloyd

Lloyd,

I would imagine that a 1940 or 41 colum would bolt right in, I have one out of a parts car that I could measure. I know of a guy out here that is adding a different front suspension to his 40 convertible and I can probably talk him out of the colum and linkage for you. I'm planning on meeting up with him this weekend to get some of the parts he's taken off.

• Like 1

Hey Andy,

Seems like you and me touched bases before on this.

This sounds promising. Does the column shift linkage have 2 linkage bars for the trans? I would guess the MC and clutch are located in the same spot as my 39.

If so then we should talk.

Edited by Lloyd

Hey Jim, thanks. That is what I was looking for. So if your MC and clutch torque shaft location on your 41 is identical to mine then goes to suit a 1941 column and linkage should work just fine. From what you said earlier about it being in front of the brake pedal and below the steering column it sounds like it.

I had just thought of something. I checked the master cylinder application across years and 37-41 it used the same one. Didnt think about that before.

That should work then right?

Thanks again Jim, you got me on the right path anyway. Ill get with Andy and see if I can get ahold of this 40 column.

Hi Guys -

The key to your car Lloyd is that the 1939 is the last year of the top loader transmission. They came in two configurations.  A floor shift like the 1939 and a column shift as yours is. To accomplish that they used the cable connecting to the top of the transmission.     In 1940 the transmission moved to a side lever connection and  there were subtle differences which gave you a little more room.  So if it was a 1940 and newer,  absolutely no problem putting in an r7, r10 overdrive as the connection points were exactly the same in terms of the connection to the shifter rods etc.    In terms of the steering column plyroadking is correct a steering column from a 1940-1948 will work, just as long as you have the column shifting rods and levers to connect to the side mount of your r7.

Your question still remains unanswered in my mind though..  You are looking for someone who has a 1939 and possibly a 1938 Plymouth, that moved from the floor shift or better worded top loader  transmission to a transmission with the side connections.

I know its tight in there and I think it will work with two rods verses a rod and a cable, but it would be sure nice to hear from someone who has actually

done it recent enough that they can tell you how the conversion went and provide any tips.

Here is a 1938, but same concept in that it is a top loader transmission

1938 Borg Warner Overdrive

here is the1939 overdrive

1939 transmission 5

1939 transmission 4

1939 transmission 3

1939 transmission 2

1939 transmission 1

1939 transmission

then here is the1952-56 r10

1952 56 plymouth standard with overdrive tranny  Total length Of tranny from bell housing To back Of brake band Is 19 And halfinches

and attached is a better picture in terms of showing the shift lever connections

post-5630-0-84505400-1453171467_thumb.jpg

Edited by timkingsbury
  • Like 1

Hey Tim,

Thanks for chiming in.

If the frame and mounting locations for the MC and the clutch linkage are identical then it should work without problems. The same master cylinder spans the years 37-41 and has a unique vertical lug mounting on the bottom of the cylinder. So I am assuming that the mounting configuration is the same. If the frame is the same which would put the engine and bell housing at the same locations then the column with linkage from a 40-41 should drop right in and the shifting arms go right back to the trans.

Lot of ifs huh?

Has anyone got a pic that shows the steering column and shifting linkage along with MC and clutch mounting on a 40-41 Plymouth?

Hey Tim,

Thanks for chiming in.

If the frame and mounting locations for the MC and the clutch linkage are identical then it should work without problems. The same master cylinder spans the years 37-41 and has a unique vertical lug mounting on the bottom of the cylinder. So I am assuming that the mounting configuration is the same. If the frame is the same which would put the engine and bell housing at the same locations then the column with linkage from a 40-41 should drop right in and the shifting arms go right back to the trans.

Lot of ifs huh?

Has anyone got a pic that shows the steering column and shifting linkage along with MC and clutch mounting on a 40-41 Plymouth?

A lot of ifs would be correct..

But its not a picture of a 1940-41 you need, your barking up the wrong tree.  I can get you pictures of a 1941 but I am telling you it is different that a 1939.  You need to check if there is enough room for the two rods/levers to come from the steering column to the  where the linkage mounts on the side of a 1940 and new transmission.   Or we need someone who has put a side load transmission in a 1939 or 1938 Plymouth.  I know it has been done   There is a 1939 with an r7 overdrive not far from me.  Unfortunately the  guy who did the install has passed away, it was done over 20 years ago and his 

son who owns the car has no idea.  

Come spring I can likely get that car up on a hoist and see if I can figure out what he did but that isn't helping you right now

Edited by timkingsbury