52 b-3-d stuck in gear

New issue with the truck. I parked it and left it in gear, I went to pull on the shifter yesterday and it's stuck in gear. I thought maybe with the cold weather there was some water in there and it all froze up. I took out the plugged for the transmission and nothing came out. There was definitely some ice in there. I have been melting it out and it is is still stuck. What else could be going on here? There might be more ice in there, but im not positive that is the only problem.

if you have ice inside the transmission..y0u have a serious contamination of the lubricants and the unit needs be disassembled and inspected and the cause of the leak discovered and fixed.  Even if the unit thaws, water provides no lubrication and I would be very concerned for every gear and bearing within the case.

My B-3 parts trucks used to end up with water into the trans on the floor shift  4/5 speed models.

I once had a 1951 3 ton 5 speed trans freeze up too. I could not drive or shift it.Took nearly a week to thaw out. :eek:

I have noticed the B-3  series trucks windshields can leak water onto the dash... the water runs by the wiper knob straight down onto the floor shifter down thru the rubber boot and into the transmission.  Not good for the gears or bearings..

This is very common in wet parts and with trucks that sit out and are not driven or maintained.

Let it thaw out and drain /refill with GL1 80/90 gear oil. Keep your fingers crossed that the bearings and gears are not damaged from water over time. The trans has probably had some water in it for awhile.

I'm guessing the water has been in it for quite a while. I just got the truck last year so this is my first winter with it. The previous owner kept it outside all winter with no cover. But he never tried to shift it or anything in the winter so he never was aware of this problem. By the time he went to drive it, it would be all thawed. I'm not really much of a transmission guy, but if I do decide to drop it and take it apart how complicated is it?

• 2 weeks later...

You better get some antifreeze in there so you don't have another freeze up!

• Haha 1

If there was gear oil in the trans you may have lucked out depending on how much water it took on.  Whatever oil was in there would have floated on top of the water unless you've been driving it.  In that case you have a transmission flavored looking milk shake.

• Like 1

I never heard of doing that, but what do I know about ice, I'm in Southern California (I went swimming today)

Hank  :)

I was joking Hank!! :D