Air ride

CowboyConnor

I have a 48 so it should be similar. I bagged the front first and liked the ride so much that I'm in the process of doing the rear now. I've got it finished up by getting rid of the leaf springs and did a triangulated 4 link. I went with manual air valves because I really like the simplicity and reliability. Here are a few pics fully aired up and down. Don't mind the dust on the car. LOL.

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

• Like 2

I have a 48 so it should be similar. I bagged the front first and liked the ride so much that I'm in the process of doing the rear now. I've got it finished up by getting rid of the leaf springs and did a triangulated 4 link. I went with manual air valves because I really like the simplicity and reliability. Here are a few pics fully aired up and down. Don't mind the dust on the car. LOL.

Did you have to cut any of the interior floor/trunk or notch the frame? Does it sit on the rear bump stops when fully lowered? Any pics of the rear set-up?

Where did you get all your parts from?

They were on the Dakota that I bought to get the 5 speed from. 4 link, Airbags, 5 speed trans, brake system, steering column, AC/heat all came from the donor. 

Did you have to cut any of the interior floor/trunk or notch the frame? Does it sit on the rear bump stops when fully lowered? Any pics of the rear set-up?

I didn't get any pics but I did have to cut the trunk floor right where it normally humps up anyway. I didn't notch the frame because I didn't want it too low. I actually lowered the bumpstops so that the axle would sit on them right at zero air pressure so that the bags would not have to hold up the car. (front and back). I did that so that if something ever went wrong with the air delivery system, I could still drive it (albeit carefully). I'll try to get some pics while it's up in the air, I'm installing a new fuel tank this winter also.

• Like 1

My "51 P22 has air shocks in the rear. A small compressor is mounted in the trunk and a pump switch is mounted on the

center display. It really improves the ride and especially raising it up a bit above 50 mph's works well.

Doc

If you get on Instagram at all, I follow a guy that goes by the name "Eviltwin" He's got a 50 dodge coronet on air ride, lays the rockers. And he is still 6 volt as well. He's running dual 6v batteries

• 2 weeks later...

If you get on Instagram at all, I follow a guy that goes by the name "Eviltwin" He's got a 50 dodge coronet on air ride, lays the rockers. And he is still 6 volt as well. He's running dual 6v batteries

Tried finding him for some pics and definitely too many eviltwin names on there. Maybe post a screenshot of his page?

Tried finding him for some pics and definitely too many eviltwin names on there. Maybe post a screenshot of his page?

Whoops! It's EVELTWIN. His profile pic is a front view of his car, that should help find it

• 3 years later...

Wanted to see if there was any update on this...  I am interested in seeing the airbag setup on the front end.  Was it done on a stock front end?

after many years of deliberation, I ended up notching my frame.  I cringed at the idea of cutting out a piece off of the 79 year old frame. .... I swore I would never post this on this forum, but then i found this thread. ? 

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 5:03 PM, Smokeybear said:

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Thought I'd share in case anyone on this post is interested.

I ended up using Slam Specialties 6 inch airbag (SS6 model)   luckily it fit right in the frame's spring pocket without having to cut any of the frame out for clearance.

I also cut out the raised spring anchor on the lower control arm and welded a plate to mount the airbag too.  I'll post some pictures from my phone.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...