52 b-3-d starting issues

As posted above no fuel came out with the open ended line, and when I plugged it and cranked then unplugged it a little gas squirt out.

Ok then assuming there is plenty of fuel in the tank I suggest you remove the feed line to the fuel pump. With that off you may have fuel coming out the open end of the line ? If so concentrate on the fuel pump. If not try pushing some fuel through the line with a little air pressure at the filler tube to the tank. You should not need much at all to push fuel over to the fuel pump connection. If you do not get any flow then you pretty much know where the problem is.

Hth,

Jeff

• Like 1

wow...I think I would take ten minutes to read and follow the book than spend days on a forum getting on snippets of info here and there....

behave

• Like 1

I think it is important to consider that sometimes we....any of us..... come here for moral support during the process of bringing one of these old vehicles back to life. It is by the nature of the work a lonely and drawn out task. And sometimes having the manuals is simply not enough. Often having someone talk you through it just works better. I sure get that. Besides it is no big deal to lend a hand. No one person has all the answers or can handle every repair perfectly by themselves. Somewhere along the line everyone here has had mentors or at least someone who shared some know how. Even the most experienced people here.

45 years ago when I was a teenager my first job was in a small garage. Pumped gas and helped old Hutch service and repairs cars and trucks. I remember being in awe of his skills as a mechanic. Didn't seem to matter what came in he knew how to repair it. After one particularly nasty job i said to him...is there anything you don't know about cars? He must have laughed for about 5 minutes. Then he said.....Boy I don't know half what my old man knew....he was a real mechanic.

Jeff

• Like 1

Well plymouthy I guess time is more easy to come by for you. I work all day then go home and hang out with my family. I don't go home and read manuals, I really dont spend any time on the truck unless it's the weekend, but not every weekend. We lead very busy lives. And while I'm at work it is easy to just make a post on here and wait for an answer. Especially since I don't need the answer immediately. But thank you for your concern.

• Like 1

Manuals/diagrams are great, but they also raise more questions. Projects have many implications where a kind word or tip is appreciated. Not afraid to admit I need that a lot, and try my best not to be an idiotic nag looking for free answers without doing SOME homework. If this is not the place to do that, we can always move on to different sources. Sorry this had to evolve from your original question.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if its the same with a 1 ton but the fuel line on my B1B is 5/16 ". I dont know that the fuel delivery needs are on your truck. My best guess is that it is the same but I dont know for sure.

John

Edited by John Rogers

i got some time to work on the truck tonight so update on the fuel system. I took line off at fuel pump no gas there so I know that the line from pump to carb is not the issue. There is a union in the line near the gas tank. I took that apart and had fuel come out there. So with a relatively quick inspection all fuel lines seem to be ok. Next time I work on it, I will try putting some air in the tank to make sure there is plenty of flow coming out (because not a ton came out when I opened the line, but could be because I didn't get the end down low enough) then I will try to do some tests on the pump itself.

And thank you for the fuel routing threads

Edited by jpartington

I blew out all the fuel lines last night and all of them are clear. Hopefully tonight I can get a chance to see if the pump is working. Another question, the connection to the fuel tank seems pretty high, is there a pickup line inside the tank?

You would have to cut into the tank in order to make that repair. I would want to be absolutely certain that this was the problem.

How much fuel do you have in the tank? Do your testing with at least 5 gallons in it to be certain of good flow to the pump.

hth; Jeff

Sure. And It is a possibility. Just not the only one.

What I would do is disconnect the line at the pump and see if I could push some fuel through from the tank by using a little bit of air pressure at the tank.

This is why I suggest having at least 5 gallons in the tank. If it flows to the pump with or without a bit of air behind it then you know.

Jeff

I put my finger over the inlet of the pump and felt the suction so this would imply that the pump is working correct? but I suppose it may not be strong enough? I guess I'll have to try to get a pressure tester and see what it does. But I think I'm the meantime I'll try hooking it back up and see if it spits out fuel now with the lines all blown out

Another option to test your pump is to rig up a gas can and rubber hose, then attach to your pump to see how the pump operates on a short draw...if good, then attach can to fuel line at tank to test a long draw...if good there, attach to tank and see if there are any changes in performance. If your tank has not been thoroughly inspected, you may have a draw tube that is severely fouled with sludge, or enough sludge in the bottom of the tank to block off the draw tube. If that tank has too much sludge in it, ya might have to resort to some drastic and/or professional (Renu) measures to get things fully operational :cool:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So here is the update, I connected fuel pump to a short draw, and it did pump gas out of the outlet. I tried to put a gauge on it to check the pressure, but for some reason the gauge would not seal and it didn't take the pressure. I have not put it on a long draw alternate tank yet, but I did hook it back up to the tank and still got nothing. I disconnected the tank line from the pump again and tried to blow air through the tank up to the pump and got nothing. I'm a little worried that my problem resides in the tank.

Edited by jpartington