52 b-3-d starting issues

I ended up just calling he told me 250 being the low end and 350 being the high end without seeing it. I'll probably have to take a little brake I don't have much spare cash right now and my wife is due in about 3 weeks so won't have much time either.

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I've posted here, but been very busy. We now have a 2 week old son, and now the wife wants family pictures, and what better background then my truck. So trying to get it temporarily running so I can move it. I have put in all new fuel lines. put the gas tank back in (with the holes still in it) and tried to start it tonight. To my surprise the battery was dead. Charged it up and immediately dies again just like before. This is the 3rd battery in the truck in a year. Why do they keep going bad? Does it wreck a battery to leave it sit for a while?

todays 6 volt batteries are not like the old days, most do not get more than a 90 day warranty....that screams inferior right there.....but three in a year screams something else..did you leave the battery connected while in storage..if so you have got a drain..you need to put a test light inline and verify if you have a short somewhere that is eating your battery reserve.  To check just the battery, charge it and place it aside unconnected and see if it is internally discharging due to shorts.  If the battery goes dead just sitting unused and unconnected...you have a bad battery..

• Like 1

A lot of the newer chargers will not charge a battery if it does not have some residual charge left in it.  Something to do with a safety diode to ensure the leads are hooked up correctly.  Most also require a LONGER charge time than the charger indicates.  Often they only end up putting a surface charge in them that quickly goes away.

• Like 1

Dave is correct on the new battery chargers.  I'm thinking of buying a bunch of pre safety chargers at swap meets. New is not always better. I disconnect my  battery much more than I used to, I learned that from Don C. TKS Don. 

This could be a situation where you have some sort of a drain or short in the system. No battery will stand up to that for long. Need to check the electrical system over very carefully. One good telltale that I learned a long time ago is to see if you get any kind of spark when hooking up the cables. If you do you have a problem which needs to be isolated. Of course you need a good battery to test all this with.

Jeff

• 2 months later...

Been busy haven't had to time to reply. So thank you for responses (and for bearing with me throughout this thread as I have strayed away from the original problem a few times) I have not done much with battery whenever hooking up the cables I have not noticed any spark. As far as a drain goes I'll have to dig a little more. All the wiring is new, voltage regulator is new, generator is new. I am planning to get the starter rebuilt soon also. And also getting back the fuel issue. I did end up finally finding out why gas was not making it up to the carburetor. The small section of flex line between the fuel pump and line going to tank was so dried and cracked that it had a hole in it. Not allowing enough suction. I replaced that section and it's now good to go. Now just have to figure out battery

• Like 1

Glad to see your back at it.... I am still waiting for that family photo with the truck as a back drop. :) congrats on the newest pilothouse driver

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...