Electrical Gremlins...........

49DODGEBOY

well it time to sort out some electrical stuff now and it is the one thing I am just not good at.

I lost my headlights after sitting for 2 years and in going thru the wiring found an un-connected wire that starts at the brake sensor switch back on the rear brake line and goes up into the engine compartment.   Now I have the electrical diagram for my '49 d30 2 door and it says that that wire should be connected to a 30 amp circuit breaker.   Anyone know where it is located?    It sure is not under the hood.   I know that this is not the headlight problem but got to start somewhere.

any help greatly appreciated.

Rich

Sounds like you are going to need to find a cushion to lay on, and follow the wires away from the ignition switch, or as Plymouthy says, from the headlight sw.. B)

Edited by shel_ny
  • Like 1

1949-50 chryslers have the circuit breakers (2) mounted on the steering column support bracket up behind the dash.

• Like 1

For your headlights, check all the grounding locations first.  Can't say how many times I've exhausted myself tracking down a wiring problem, only to have it end up being a bad ground.  Or, since your car has been sitting idle for a while, just cut to the chase and check / clean all your grounds anyway.  

• Like 1

Re power your brakelight switch through a new wire with an in line fuse.  Pick up power on the battery side of the starter solenoid. Takes the brake light draw out of the general lighting circuit.  Takes about 10 minutes.  15 amp fuse is plenty us 12 gauge wire.

• Like 1

Re power your brakelight switch through a new wire with an in line fuse.  Pick up power on the battery side of the starter solenoid. Takes the brake light draw out of the general lighting circuit.  Takes about 10 minutes.  15 amp fuse is plenty us 12 gauge wire.

Although the brake lights would work just fine, you would not see the power draw through the ammeter.

thx Greg   I have a hunch this is what someone did already since I found the unconnected wire under the hood....not the dash  

Merle, brake light usage shows on mine by the amp meter showing a positive charge when the brakes are on.  So it shows the generator kicking up to replace their draw.  I say draw as I have 2 55watt bulbs in the fender lights as well as the center bulb.

What about the dimmer switch?  I've seen several posts here about issues with those.  Maybe mash it 15 - 20 times and try the headlights again.

• Like 2

I was impressed on how much love the Power Probe electrical testing kit got in the "Show your Tools" thread. http://p15-d24.com/topic/22456-show-your-tools/page-21?hl=%2Bpower+%2Bprobe#entry350295

Perhaps it would help find your gremlins?

I'm getting ready to rewire mine, so I'm looking for any advantage I can get to keep the gremlins away. :)

I was impressed on how much love the Power Probe electrical testing kit got in the "Show your Tools" thread. http://p15-d24.com/topic/22456-show-your-tools/page-21?hl=%2Bpower+%2Bprobe#entry350295

Perhaps it would help find your gremlins?

I'm getting ready to rewire mine, so I'm looking for any advantage I can get to keep the gremlins away. :)

Well since I work for a tool company, Power Probe happens to be "friends" , so I might have to hook myself up!    thanks for the tip.

Yep Corrosion on the dimmer switch contacts can cause enough resistance that lights don't work and fuses blow/breakers trip.  As noted above cycling the switch a number of times can clean up the contacts.  But is should be on the list of likely suspects.

Also check the contacts on the circuit junction block on the radiator support where the headlamp wire slit to feed left and right.

Edited by greg g
  • Like 1

wanted to thank everyone for the input. Headlights now working although still dealing with a diming issue at idle.  Found a wire off under the dash. Cleaned all the terminal block connections. Dash lights work too.

Now onto the back as I have shaved all the original stuff and gone to a 47-48 Chevy taillight (sorry)  But have all the hots were they should be should be a smooth re-wire.

then it on to the fuel guage / sending unit...

thx again

Your car's circuit breaker is a self closing unit mounted behind the instruments between the ammeter and the headlight switch.

Often when the headlights fail to light after a long idle period it is the dimmer switch which is at fault.  If the dash and tail lights and park lights come on 

then you can be sure power is at the headlight switch.  As mentioned above, check connections including grounds at the lights.

• Like 1

What is your idle speed?  You can bump it up a bit to see if the dimming persists.If it doesn't make any difference in the lights just put it back to recommended rpm. 

spot on Greg

as it sat there idling as I worked on the rear lights I noticed they were brighter....IE  as it warmed up the idle increased ever so little and yes the lights went up with it...... 

So, knowing that this car is a frankenstein, would anyone like to confirm the factory location to install the temp sending bulb?  Mine is screwed into the back corner of the head.  correct?

and just in case anyone needs to know, I just bought and installed a couple 12v led license plate studs and installed them on my 6v system. worked like a charm.

needed since I shaved the rear of the car.   and to be legal :)

post-336-0-57678100-1452901057_thumb.jpg

• Like 2