Temp sender tread size

linenbaugh

Hello

Ihave an engine from -56 in my -47 Dodge and i need an adapter to make the temp gauge sending unit fit in the head.The newer engines had an electric tempgauge ,and had a smaller tread in the head.Can anyone tell me the tread size in the newer heads, i have measured the treads and found it is 18 tpi taperd tread could it be a pipe tread or NPT ? I do allso need to know the tread of the nut that holds the bulb in place.Any help is greatly appreciated.

Anders

Thanks for your answer but it does not solve my problem,The bulb is about the same size as the treads in the head so i need to fabricate an adapter that sticks out a little or i will have to re thread the head,wich will need the head to come off.At this point i do not want to remove the head as there is nothing wrong with the engine .I need to know the tread sizes.

Thanks again but it still dont solve my problem ,i know the bulb has to be in contact with the coolant and i am going to make the adapter that way.I still need the tread size in the newer heads ,as i live in sweden we are metric and do use pipe threads in inch .It would be much easier if someone could tell me the size of threads i have to make so i can find dies or cut the threads in a lathe.

Anders

So what was the thread size?

So what was the thread size?

i'll play along  ...........14 or 1.75  post-6005-0-34619100-1452276792_thumb.jpg  18 or 1.5 post-6005-0-96282300-1452276771_thumb.jpg ????

diameter to be determined by specific application? :D

Well I'll supply the final answer hopefully.......and  the final answer is...

The 1956 electrical temp sender threaded hole size in the Plymouth and Dodge 230 flat head is... 1/4 NPTF

The temperature gauge bulb gland nut (1947 Dodge temp Gauge) that also is used on the 1954 and back Plymouth and Dodge (1947) cars is a 5/8" X 18 straight threads per inch size.

.625" OD or 5/8".

• Like 1

Well I'll supply the final answer hopefully.......and  the final answer is...

The 1956 electrical temp sender threaded hole size in the Plymouth and Dodge 230 flat head is... 1/4 NPTF

The temperature gauge bulb gland nut (1947 Dodge temp Gauge) that also is used on the 1954 and back Plymouth and Dodge (1947) cars is a 5/8" X 18 straight threads per inch size.

.625" OD or 5/8".

Do you know of a source for teh senders for the electrical version?

• 2 weeks later...

As I clean up from my engine assembly, I found the adaptor that goes into the head and the tap I used for it.

It is a 1/2 inch by 14 Thread Per Inch National Pipe.

You can see the photo.  I sort of remember having to go out and buy the tap for doing another head.

James.

post-60-0-38907600-1453230131_thumb.jpg

Edited by James_Douglas