I feel faint. Think I'll go to the doctor.

casper50

This topic made me remember  a great story I had with my camper.  It was very funny to me and after hearing everyone (myself included) have negative comments on this thread it makes me think it wasn't very funny for the other guy. 

The Green Bay WI arena (next to Lambeau Field) host the annual "World of Wheels", its a very high class 4 day car show where vehicles come from all over the US and get judged for there perfection.  I believe it is a year long competition that takes place in several large cities.  Anyway, I was asked by the coordinators if I could bring my Semi one year and then asked to bring my camper a few years later.  In both cases I did not get involved in the judging.  My trucks where just something different for the crowds to see.  The show started on Thursday night and we immediately had a line of people waiting there turn to see the inside of the camper.  It was parked in the middle of the main isle and the people took up the complete isle waiting.  The second night same big line and a guy walks up to me a calls me an A*******.  I said excuse me!!!! He then said that he has $450,000 into his car and nobody even looks at his car because he was parked next to my rusty piece of crap.  I said that's interesting, because I only have $12,000 in my camper.  I sure thought it was funny at the time but now I kinda feel bad.  Just a little bit.

This topic made me remember  a great story I had with my camper.  It was very funny to me and after hearing everyone (myself included) have negative comments on this thread it makes me think it wasn't very funny for the other guy. 

The Green Bay WI arena (next to Lambeau Field) host the annual "World of Wheels", its a very high class 4 day car show where vehicles come from all over the US and get judged for there perfection.  I believe it is a year long competition that takes place in several large cities.  Anyway, I was asked by the coordinators if I could bring my Semi one year and then asked to bring my camper a few years later.  In both cases I did not get involved in the judging.  My trucks where just something different for the crowds to see.  The show started on Thursday night and we immediately had a line of people waiting there turn to see the inside of the camper.  It was parked in the middle of the main isle and the people took up the complete isle waiting.  The second night same big line and a guy walks up to me a calls me an A*******.  I said excuse me!!!! He then said that he has $450,000 into his car and nobody even looks at his car because he was parked next to my rusty piece of crap.  I said that's interesting, because I only have $12,000 in my camper.  I sure thought it was funny at the time but now I kinda feel bad.  Just a little bit.

sometimes it is refreshing to see a side show when entering the 3 ring circus arena...yours evidently was not "mainstream" to their program and a refreshing change and I would remind you, you were there by invitation..so the other guy who had the problem, should have address the organization committee.  I will walk past 100+ finished cars at our local car corral to get to the back fence where the project cars are often parked....we have such a camper event here in middle Georgia, granted they bring revenue to the small town and the fairgrounds hosting the event....I however would be more at home in a Scamp camper than the huge self powered 1/2 mil motorhomes...that is why they make and sell both...

A good friend of mine a similar thing happen to him at a big car show up here....he has a beautiful 50 VW beetle that he was unveiling for the first time and next to him was a guy with a brand new Porsche I believe it was and it was just a stock Porsche with a bunch of dealer power and effect add on's....he had like $200k in this thing and figured he would win the show hands down, but when my buddies $20,000 beetle won he lost his sh!t and started screaming at him and the judges......money doesn't always buy quality, and it also doesn't always win everyone opinion or taste. A vehicle like in the OP would NEVER make it on our roads up here...we have so many safety rules, it's a little ridiculous, but that being said it also stops trucks like this from endangering others and the operators.

As for a build thread on mine...I think some of it is in the power steering rack topic I created...then just spread over other threads. I

This thing will never end likely....it's getting a few more things this winter, but mainly just stuff to get it re-safetied and finish stuff that I didn't get too before this summer.

• 1 year later...

I agree with much of what has been posted yet as a novice mechanic, to see the stages involved in putting an old body on a modern chassis was quite educational. I don't even like modern front clips, but that's my thing and I appreciate knowing how it is done. 

[ aside: knee surgery September 5. I'm enduring a lot of pain these days, so shop work is slow.] 

Love the steering wheel. I guess the owner must have hands and fingers of steel or some other material inwhich he will not cut up the hands when the wheel turns.  Sometime stupid does as stupid is.  Not my cup of tea and i feel a real dangerous vehicle. How does this pass to be on the road?????????

rich Hartung

I hate seeing a good cab cut up. I actually like rat rods that are creative.

So many of them are cookie cutter - cut the cab, do something with the headers, chop up the grill, beer keg gas tank, skull gear shift, make them extremely uncomfortable to ride in as possible by having your legs stick straight out while sitting on a piece of steel seat. It's like they have a checklist. There's no creativity in there, it's a bunch of borrowed ideas applied to the first poor old car or truck they can find to cut up. 

I like when the rat rod is actually created from parts that are end of life or not likely to be used again. I watched this whole video series on YouTube where a fabricator found a car with trees growing through it, no floor board, most of the bottom rusted out. She took it and chopped out all the rust on the bottom, built a new frame and created a cool looking rat rod from a car that was literally returning to the earth. She talks about taking parts that aren't or won't be used again for their original purpose and she creates her art out of it like a sculpture you can drive.