How did you find it best to learn the Mopar Flatty?

fedoragent

Folks,

Before venturing down the Plymouth route 5 years ago...I was a Volkswagen guy.  20 years ago, I learned by buying a bug engine separate from my car, taking it apart and putting it back together again.  When it fired up and was stable, imagine my shock.  Fast forward to today, I'm still a leery when getting under the hood of the P15.  How did you folks learn?  Did you do what I did with the VW engines and just piece one together?  I wish I had a mentor like I did in my VW days, but those are hard to come by when you're on the West Coast.  However, recently, I found out I wasn't alone out here in the West Coast...and that made me feel a bit better.

So...how did you learn?

Happy Holidays,

FG.

Edited by fedoragent

They are no different than your VW.  All engines are just nuts and bolts.  Pistons go up and down, cranks go round and round. I think that if you have done the VW's you know the basics.  Just take your time, take lots of photos, and ask all of the questions you might have here on the forum.  A good service and parts manual will be your best friend.  I bought mine from books4cars.com.

• Like 1

I've never had a Mopar flat but 50 years of wrench turning, over 30 of them professionally, digging into one wouldn't bother me.  Sure, there's nuances to every manufacturer and the service, parts and owner's manuals for the model are important to have around, but the basics are still the same.  Testing in a logical manner when troubleshooting a problem is the same when you understand the basic theories of how any system  works.  There's a lot sources here, in and on this forum that can mentor you.  .Digital cameras are your friend.  Even when taking pics, do so in  a logical manner.  Don't skip around and engine compartment, for example.   Sequence them, take notes of what they are and the order to took them in.. If they're all from the passenger side of the compartment, notate that.  Front to back or back to front, top to bottom, etc., big picture followed by the detail pics so there is reference, then on to the next section.  Search button at the top of the screen is too often neglected so make use of that.  The topic you need more info on has probably been covered at some point though you may need to get a bit creative with phrasing to get where you want to go.

You're fortunate all the info is available at your fingertips. and  that SoCal Breakfast Club is in your neighborhood as well.

Same way you learned with the VW - trial and error, starting with a basic knowledge of what an engine does and a keen interest in mechanical stuff, and how it works.  I started with the ol' Dodge, as did many on this forum, before this internet thing came about.  As noted previously, this forum has been immensely helpful as our car, and my patience, have aged.  Lots of mentors herein.

• Like 1

I've never had a Mopar flat but 50 years of wrench turning, over 30 of them professionally, digging into one wouldn't bother me.  Sure, there's nuances to every manufacturer and the service, parts and owner's manuals for the model are important to have around, but the basics are still the same.  Testing in a logical manner when troubleshooting a problem is the same when you understand the basic theories of how any system  works.  There's a lot sources here, in and on this forum that can mentor you.  .Digital cameras are your friend.  Even when taking pics, do so in  a logical manner.  Don't skip around and engine compartment, for example.   Sequence them, take notes of what they are and the order to took them in.. If they're all from the passenger side of the compartment, notate that.  Front to back or back to front, top to bottom, etc., big picture followed by the detail pics so there is reference, then on to the next section.  Search button at the top of the screen is too often neglected so make use of that.  The topic you need more info on has probably been covered at some point though you may need to get a bit creative with phrasing to get where you want to go.

You're fortunate all the info is available at your fingertips. and  that SoCal Breakfast Club is in your neighborhood as well.

Wait...what is the Socal Breakfast Club?  

FG.

After my Father in Law had his stroke and could no longer drive, our car was passed to my wife.

This makes her the 4th generation owner.

After we got it home, I assured him I would get it running by the end of summer.

I am by no means a mechanic, but not scared to take on a challenge.

With the help of a friend I did get I running (?) sort of, by the big Fall car show.

He was very happy to ride Shotgun.

Around the same time, I joined this group.

At the car show, an older gentleman came up and asked about the car and my plans for it.

After I told him the story, he gave me the best advice I have received during this journey.

His advice, "Don't take on a frame off restoration until you know more about the car

Get it running and work on it as time and money allow.

Too often people take on a big project and realize they are in over their head and end up with a bunch of random parts."

I also joined our local antique car club.

Some credit also goes to YouTube and the people who post on it showing people like me what to do.

I read a lot of posts and try to contribute when possible.

For me, the research and working on the car is as enjoyable as driving it.

Thanks to all and have a great Holiday however you celebrate it.

Neil

• Like 2

A P15 was my first car when I was 16 years old, back in 1964. My grandfather bought it new, it became our family car, and ultimately my car. Learned by necessity, as I couldn't afford to have it professionally repaired. Learned by trial and error to replace a clutch, change a head, replace points, swap engines, repair a leaf spring, etc. Fairly straightforward repairs, but much of it was new to me. It was quite a learning experience, and here I am with another P15 (well, it's not really stock anymore, but a P15 nonetheless). Had this one since 2006, and wouldn't dream of ever selling it.

Wayne

Edited by Oldguy48
  • Like 2

Thank you folks.  When I was learning VWs it was not as daunting as this feels.  The car itself is SO MUCH BIGGER. lol.  Thank you for the words of support and guidance.  I'm looking forward to meeting the rest of the Socal gang on January 17th.  :)

Happy Holidays Everyone!

FG.

I play with both VW and these old Mopars. In some ways, the Mopar is simpler, just heavier and bigger, but simpler. No pushrods, cast iron everything. Though granted, my VW feels like a sports car around corners compared with my Dodge, the Dodge feels like a drag racer in an acceleration contest ;)

Merry Christmas all.

• Like 1

Just like everyone else said. Jump in and have a manual and a camera. If you want a real challenge work on any car newer than 2000. Just a tune up on these is daunting and frustrating.  Unlike new cars, these were made to worked on by anyone with a lick of sense.

Joe

• Like 1

FG.

Check in the " Off Topic " section of the forum. I think they have a breakfast meet coming up in January. Several of your local forum members meet up for breakfast and swapping Mopar stories, etc.

• Like 1

FG.

Check in the " Off Topic " section of the forum. I think they have a breakfast meet coming up in January. Several of your local forum members meet up for breakfast and swapping Mopar stories, etc.

OH, Those guys!  Yeah, we are all meeting on January 17th.  I thought you were talking about another car club.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

FG.

Like many lessons, those learned in "The School of Hard Knocks" are the ones that are the most enduring.

As a youngster, I had a 35 PJ which I drove on farm roads. It had poor oil pressure and a nasty knock.  On

January 25 ,1959, the inevitable happened.  #2 rod bearing overlapped its shells and seized the engine tight

ruining the crankshaft.  I took the engine all apart but my father would not allow me to spend any money on

it, (a used crankshaft was $15.) The car eventually was sold without the engine and I moved on with a 40 P10.

This one  P10c-1481 ran pretty well but popped  head gaskets. It needed a resurface job on the head but again, no money.

I traded it for a low mileage 50 Dodge D36 ( Canadian) and ran this car for 14 years , putting 120 000 miles over and above the original 56000.  During this time I learned about re ringing, reboring, grinding valves and so on. I also learned what has already

been stated here. Learn by doing, ask questions, observe recommendations found in the manual. A good rebuild on one of these engines will run for many years and if used with care and common sense will be as reliable as they were intended to be.

They represent some very good engineering.... even if a bit outdated.... and speaking for myself, I never want to be without one. 

At present I have six cars and trucks powered by variants of this engine, shelves of service parts and a few complete spare units including my D36's engine ( which I got in 1965)  so I am not likely to run out.

• Like 1

:D First things first.......the engine is not in the trunk. The trunk is for tools, a manual and spares. No metrics required.

Jeff

Exactly! That's the weird thing about Mopars, they all place their engines in the trunk and on top of all that, they are improperly cooled, in VWs they got rid of the middle man !

• Like 1

Second thing about the flattie is that when all is well it should be nice and quiet.......none of that godawful VW racket. They all sound to me like they are ready to blow any moment. :eek:

Jeff

Funny thing is that those that don't take care of their regular maintenance on their VW engines...aka Valve Adjustment will sound like they are ready to blow at any moment...and most..well...do. :)

<Learned on the side of the road as a 21 year old with a bug...>

FG.

spun main bearing is also a side effect of running a VW

Upon many many other things.  I find that VWs are fun, however they are seemingly fragile without proper care and maintenance.  I like my Flathead because it just keeps going.  Just had her open recently to replace some of the oil pan, rear main seal gaskets.  Beautiful, clean and much to my surprise....since the motor was rebuilt in 2009 by the previous owner, everything was absolutely new.  Doesn't get any better than that. :)  

Well, it can get a bit better.  Like a 1937 Plymouth better, but I don't have money for that. ;)

FG.

I think many folks had VW related experiences...if not by being owners..helping a friend who was an owner...and of course the years I worked as a professional wrench introduced a few into my life...they amazing little bests...I enjoy the local drag race track when they host the VW swap meet and racing...they sure can scream when prepped..

I beg to differ, my 65 Vw has an original engine, with only a top end refresh as far as a couple of valve guides and valve job. And it gets run hard, wide open throttle all day to maintain 70 mph. They are very tough engines and put up with lots of abode and neglect. In fact, back in my home country of Brazil, VWs became the dominant car from the 50s through the 80s because they were durable, well made and could take the beating our terrible roads dished out better tha just about any other car. They replaced jeeps because they could go just about anywhere a Jeep could go and were more comfortable, plus they did not boil over like water cooled cars in Brazil's hot weather.