1941 Plymouth convertible value

vintage6t

Been a member here for a while but don't post much because I haven't owned a classic Molar for a few years now. I have a line on one I'm thinking about buying and thought I'd ask the experts here for opinions on value, so thanks in advanced!

The car is a 41 Plymouth Convertible. Restored top to bottom about 40 years ago. Hardly driven since then but maintenance has been kept up. The car is part of an estate and I've known the owners for a long time. Car is completely stock. Condition wise it's a low 2. Paints is good but some chips here and there, not bad as a 10 foot driver. Top is in great condition but water stained from a storage shed roof leak. Tires nice but some dry rot. Needs a fuel pump. Gas tank is newish. Car was professionally appraised for the estate probate at $25K. I think that value is prob close but maybe slightly optimistic about condition. Any opinions about a fair offer value would be greatly appreciated.

I've done some searching on the web but not too much info out there. Mostly dealer and auction sales.

post-2702-0-04473100-1450495911_thumb.jpg

post-2702-0-77440100-1450495929_thumb.jpg

post-2702-0-11120800-1450495960_thumb.jpg

Edited by vintage6t

Looks nice but I'd be leary of paying that high of $ without checking a few more things. Is the gas tank nasty and full of ancient gas? Are the brakes functional? Something thats been sitting for even a few years can need an entire fuel and brake system refresh. So I'd want that taken into the price along with the needing new tires. Tires like that aren't cheap these days.

condition...location.....figure in the CT area as that is where you list home...how much are you going to drive it...top and tires and possible running boards could run a chunk getting back to grade not to mention other suspect things from sitting as Ed said, fuel, brakes, cooling and possible electrical gremlins if used NOS some 40 years ago when the car was but 35 and not been driven much since that time...what's to say it is not in need of another complete walk through....this one I would suggest approach with caution, open mind and be realistic on condition verse price to put in operable..another big expense is weather stripping and anti rattle and glass channel...inspect these closely...body seals are quite a chunk of change these days.....

I just bought a 41 chrysler windsor for $13000 but it needs some work ,rubber items mostly and a respray ,also a new hood ,the one thing that would concern me would be a rewire .Otherwise that car looks worth 20k all day long to me!

Thanks for the input everyone. The points made are pretty much what I was thinking about possible condition issues. I'm going to take a closer look at all things that were mentioned and try to figure out a fair offer. Luckily I can do any needed repairs myself, but ideally I want it to be very close to a driver than yet another project of which I currently have several in progress.

One reason I'm interested in this particular car is that it spent its entire life with only two previous owners both within about a mile of where I live. I've known various members of both families past and present since I was a kid and as an adult so it would be kind of cool to keep it local.