Advice on mounting tires

wdoland

Just broke down and bought a set of 4 Diamond Back M5 tires. Is there anything I need to know about keeping the white walls clean while mounting. Do they put them face down, should I tape over the WW, can any good tire company to it?

It's a lot of money to just let Jethro down at "Tires-R-Us" :eek: get his hands on.

Thanks, Wayne

When I got my new wide whites I left the blue on as somewhat of a  protective film. I would recommend this, except I would advise you to take a damp cloth and remove the blue on the bead that goes under the steel rim. I did not do this and after they were mounted I cleaned them, but under the rim is still there and when you drive the blue streaks out on the white. This eventually stopped, but took a while. I also told the tire guy to please be careful with the white and I stayed and watched him. They came out fine.

Bob

• Like 1

Ya might want to get the tires mounted when business is slow so they can take their time...if you can swing it, bring them one wheel at a time instead of the whole car. It'll take longer but the technicians might do a better job on the tire and ya won't have to worry about any damage from left hand thread torqueing :cool:

I worked at a Firestone dealer when I was in college and management did not care where the marks lined up, just get the customers out the door asap was their mantra.  I got barked at on a few occasions cuz I would get caught rotating the tire on the rim to line up the mark to the valve stem, or as my manager called it, "lollygagging"...when my naïve self would try to explain what I was doing, I would get the DGAF corporate motivation and just slap the rest of the tires on the rims...this is why I tell people to go to tire stores when they are not busy, cuz management will not be cracking the whip on techs to just get the cars out the doors.  Back at the Firestone, we had a customer with a cherry Formula Firebird and a sweet Bonneville SSE that he would bring in to get serviced, always on Sunday mornings before noon, and he would request that I do the work, probably cuz I'd be the only one not hungover and I tried to do a good job.  So choose wisely...