Got me a 41 Truck

TomP

By way of introduction my name is Tom, I live in Devon South West UK and I own 3 Plymouth vehicles. Just purchased a PT 125 which crossed the pond a couple of months ago, it was advertised and only 70 miles from home so I bought it. Had been looking for this model for about a year but never in the UK always State side, only major parts it needs is a complete drive train and I am asking what are my choices to keep it as far as possible stock.

post-8738-0-84896300-1449996513_thumb.jpeg

Thanks for looking Tom

• Like 4

Welcome to this forum, I'll let others answer the truck questions. Now that is a very nice truck, evidently has had a connection to John Deere with the green color and the door sticker. However, I have never seen a white John Deere deer! The are usually yellow. Whatever, you will get ample help here.

As a side line the John Deere logo of 1876-1968 were white background. I didn't know that until now, but now have noticed that I have a white deer on a black background, artistic licence me think. 

post-8738-0-98023900-1450011637_thumb.jpeg

Edited by TomP
  • Like 1

By way of introduction my name is Tom, I live in Devon South West UK and I own 3 Plymouth vehicles. Just purchased a PT 125 which crossed the pond a couple of months ago, it was advertised and only 70 miles from home so I bought it. Had been looking for this model for about a year but never in the UK always State side, only major parts it needs is a complete drive train and I am asking what are my choices to keep it as far as possible stock.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Thanks for looking Tom

The engine is pretty straight forward any 201 218 230 23' length engine should fit. Depending on the source you'll have to swap stuff like oil pan or manifolds. You'll need a truck bellhousing and transmission.

On 13/12/2015 at 4:55 PM, Young Ed said:

The engine is pretty straight forward any 201 218 230 23' length engine should fit. Depending on the source you'll have to swap stuff like oil pan or manifolds. You'll need a truck bellhousing and transmission.

Thanks for your comments, if I'm understanding you correctly the bellhousing and gearbox are different from the cars, so what about the crossbeam that the bellhousing is suspended from as I don't have one of those, I do have the foot pedals but not attached. I'm OK with the 33/34 setups but this later model is completely new to me.

This is my 33 PD some time ago.

Thanks Tom

Edited by TomP

The trucks don't have a frame crossmember there. The bellhousing is somewhat extended and goes basically side to side within the frame. The clutch and brake pedals both attach to the bellhousing. The master cylinder does too on the front side. I'll post a couple pictures of my truck that will hopefully make more sense than my explanation.

withengine2.jpg

P8160003.jpg

This is great information, I'm beginning to understand what I'm in for, the importer has told me he has an engine on it's way and a 4 speed box. I did ask about the crossbeam, he said it was incorporated but from what I've found 4 speed was for power take-off model?

Think you must be the gentleman Bob from Neversink NY mentioned in a pm to me last evening.

Tom 

This is great information, I'm beginning to understand what I'm in for, the importer has told me he has an engine on it's way and a 4 speed box. I did ask about the crossbeam, he said it was incorporated but from what I've found 4 speed was for power take-off model?

Think you must be the gentleman Bob from Neversink NY mentioned in a pm to me last evening.

Tom 

That Bob likes to get me in trouble......

The 1/2 ton came with a 3spd and an optional 4spd. Between Dad and I we have about 10 3spds and 1 that came with the optional 4spd. Interesting that out of all the 39-47 dodges it was his 40 plymouth pickup that had the 4spd. Its since been transplanted to the 46 we use to haul stuff around the lake place. Beat up old workhorse that the 4spd is well served in.

Bob said it was you I needed to contact, he can get himself in to trouble any day of the week. My truck came out of New Mexico, a Los Angeles build just before production ceased according to JB, once I have the title I will apply for a build card. The 34 PE I have Jim wrote an Allpar article about back in 86, Ed Peterson was in line for it but couldn't wait and I purchased it from the widow of a Randy Johnson from Texas, mentioned in that article. 

Thank you for your help.

Tom

• Like 1

I certainly have the bell housing and possibly many of the other parts you need BUT  shipping from Western Canada may be prohibitive.   It should be quite easy to convert your truck to right hand steering as they were built that way for export.

If you can get a 4 speed box from 53 or newer, they were synchronized in 2,3,and 4th gear and are a lot easier to drive. I installed one in a 46 One ton and needed to change only the clutch disc.  

I am the tech advisor for the Plymouth Owners Club for 1950 and my contact info can be obtained there should you need it.

• Like 2

Thanks for your input, I have come to accept shipping cost, parr for the course, I have a contact in NJ that ships to the UK on a regular basis. When the truck's delivered I will know better what I need, but as said my limited knowledge relate to PD and PE and have had a lot of input from Tod F, I have dropped a line to Mark ? the 41 tech but as yet not had a reply, JB also has been most helpful. Will contact you when I need to.

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

Finally picked the truck up today, now all the fun finding out what's what. Have seen a drivetrain on Craigslist http://madison.craigslist.org/pts/5383051352.html do you think that would fit the bill.

Thanks. Tom

It all looks to be there. That is the way to go. It has everything including the push peddle and fork for the starter, emergency brake linkage, oil lines and canister. If you just buy a motor and trans you will spend a fortune buying all the little parts. As a matter of fact if the motor is bad all the linkages and parts are worth more then what he is asking.

It all looks to be there. That is the way to go. It has everything including the push peddle and fork for the starter, emergency brake linkage, oil lines and canister. If you just buy a motor and trans you will spend a fortune buying all the little parts. As a matter of fact if the motor is bad all the linkages and parts are worth more then what he is asking.

Thanks for your reply, I already found out there's more to a drive train than just the lump and box, on my PE I started out without any ancillaries, total nightmare. My shipping cost for parts must be upto the cost of this unit.

As a side line the John Deere logo of 1876-1968 were white background. I didn't know that until now, but now have noticed that I have a white deer on a black background, artistic licence me think. 

attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Actually the logo changed again and they dropped one of the points on the antlers, as well as the logo "nothing runs like a Deere" was taken from their snowmobile line, and made company wide..........lol....sorry...I'm a JD Snowmobile dork

Nice truck! Im excited to see this come together. I agree that you're way better off buying a complete engine/trans combo than trying to piece it together. In the long run it'll save you a bunch of dough.

-Chris

Thanks for your comments gents, really like the rugged build of the early cars and trucks, the Chrysler team certainly had their heads screwed on especially for the numbers they produce per year and with all the changes to the models, labour force must have been enormous, were sub assemblies bought out as today. The build card on my PD states that it hit the track 06/09/33 and was on the dock 12/09/33.

Had a little time now to briefly check a few things out, the speedo looks shot but the other gauges like promising, needs a new bed floor, I take it the rails that go between the boards are available? Incredible condition for a 75 yr old truck, the frame is shot blast colour and texture but it hasn't been blasted, think it will need some paint because everything rusts for a past time here. The windshield frame is rough, what yr trucks would use the same frame?

Thanks for your help Tom

IMG_0039A.jpg

UK11.JPG

UK6.JPG

UK9.JPG

Edited by TomP
photobucket

Yup that speedo looks done for. The other gauges look fixable. New glass is available and I think VPW has complete new speedometers. The instruments and the windshield frame are the same as some of the power wagons. The windshield I think fits 46-68 power wagons. That makes more of them available but also makes them more in demand and expensive.

I

Yup that speedo looks done for. The other gauges look fixable. New glass is available and I think VPW has complete new speedometers.

Have emailed VPW & Andy B to see if they have Nos.

Noticed on Dave Post on F/B dodge city vintage offered a speedo for $100 would that be a sensible price? Have always thought his prices 60%+ and never closed a deal with him. Yes he's a trader but never too sure, a while back I wanted 5 34 artilleries for my PE, I found good with rubber shipped to NJ for less than his rim price, perhaps I just a tight Englishman.

Thanks Tom

Tom. Hello. Was wondering if you are friends with Ralph Barnes from S.A.

Small world we live in today, my 33 PD used to be Lynette & Ralph's 1970/78 but life got in the way and he sold it on. Thanks for your interest.

Tom

Feeling very pleased, last evening I had it confirmed that the Drive-line I spoke about higher up the thread is now mine. Fortunately I have a very good friend in TN that travels around quite a bit with his business, he will pick it up for me, take it back to his shop and dispatch it to port when he has some other parts I'm waiting on. All is looking good so far this new year, picked up a 4ft guillotine, a fly press a blacksmiths anvil and a 3.5 ton 2 post lift, after having a sort out should be able to crack-on at speed.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

We all need a little luck now and again, here's mine from last wk.

grille moulding.jpg

Edited by TomP
Photobucket replaced