EPiX's 1942 Plymouth Coupe Resto

epix1718

Starting my own build thread to document getting this 1942 Plymouth Coupe Special Deluxe back on the road.. it's been a while but excited to finally be working on it.

Here is the history as far as I know (and what I was told), therefore possibly inaccurate... 

The car belonged originally to my grandfather's uncle, whom was a doctor in St. Claire Shores, MI in the early 40s.  From what I was told as he was doctor he was given the privilege in December 41' to purchase the car new.  He used the car for years and my grandpa would visit him while in his teens taking interest to the Plymouth.  Later on his uncle became mayor and also purchased a new car, the Plymouth was handed down to my Grandpa.  He had the car for years and years, yet really only used it for special events, such as his wedding, my aunts wedding, parades, a couple family trips and such.  The odometer shows about 38K miles on it.  

I always liked the car growing up myself, and in college he told me I had a choice between the Plymouth or a '66 Ford F100 pickup.  As much as I am a truck person, the Plymouth still won out.  Truck went to another family member and Plymouth went to me.. problem was I was busy with college and starting off with a new hectic job.. My grandpa himself parked the car in 2002 due to health issues where it sat in the garage with some minor mechanical problems.  Grandpa died due to a long bout with cancer, so a small regret I have is not having the car in running condition during his last years of life.  I bought a house with a barn so finally had a place to put the car.  

Here is the car when we first took it out from my grandparents garage.

iQB1U1p.jpg

We trailered it home, where then it was put into my barn, which really no progress was made on it.. doing other projects.  After talking with my grandma I know how much she enjoyed the car so I lit a fire under my butt and decided I'll get it at least operational for her and give her a surprise next spring.

It has sat in my barn for near 3 years now, out she comes!  Towed behind the lawn tractor.. there tires on the Plymouth are from the early 70s according to my grandma and surprisingly they still hold air fairly well, but don't worry they will be replaced!

DG4r9xA.jpg

Up into the garage where I can wrench on it, towed behind the trusty Craftsman lawn tractor :)

OHODkBX.jpg

F0yPGre.jpg

khLqpR1.jpg

Sitting next to the motorcycles before they make their way out for winter hibernation.  The sidecar will get some winter use, 2WD action!

pNvHv5a.jpg

Now that she is in the garage a friend and myself have been starting with all the basics..we've drained the coolant (actually cracked the upper rad hose and it poured out.. soaked up what went up by the spark plugs), drained the oil, put it up on jack stands, and now working on the rear axle.  

sPAziaw.jpg

Removing the drum covers were a total hassle.. wow they are stubborn.  We don't have the right tool so were loaned a tool by AutoZone that helped out somewhat.. the hub puller.  I placed a quarter in between the puller and the hub thread as not to damage the car.  After loading it with my impact gun they finally came free!!!

Ba94lM3.jpg?1

Sorry Mr. Washington!

znhsU0x.jpg?1

While we are working on the brakes, I'll put the dishwasher to use cleaning up the hubcaps  :)

ebTRJPX.jpg

Stay tuned, this will be an ongoing thread!

Great pictures,  I'd like to see some interior shots..  the dash, seats, door panels, etc.  Not many 42s around to look at.

As a fellow '42 owner, I look forward to following this thread. I like that picture too!  I set it as my wallpaper.  You're lucky to have that "scoop"/valence intact under the front bumper.

Edited by jcmiller

Very nice car to start with and a great story. I don't know much about the 42's, but I imagine there aren't a lot of these around.

If I put my hubcaps in the dishwasher, it'd be the first things I've put in there in months. How did they come out?

Been nearly a week since I've been able to work on the car, was waiting on a tool to arrive in the mail as the Autozone Hub Puller just would not budge off the right rear drum no matter the effort including my impact gun.. I bit the bullet and bought what everyone else recommended; the hammer hit puller.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SRH60?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Just arriving in the mail it felt heavy duty.. attached it to the drum cover and tightened the lugs down, about 2 minutes of smacking it with a rubber mallet off she comes!  Definitely the right tool for this job.  Along with pulling the drum off the brake pads (is that what they are called?) slid off too.  Not sure if I need to replace these or not, they look decently thick but the edges are frayed.

The right tools for the job.

n8jiRUg.jpg?1

Off like a prom dress.

d9jSEbm.jpg?1

In the mean time while not working on the car it appears my attic above the garage is housing quite a few bats!  Pest control guy arrived earlier this week and we are working to seal up the openings and safely remove the bats into their new bat houses :)

Edited by epix1718

If you only had to use the rubber mallet I'd say you got off easy!

Yes, I agree. My hammer of choice for that job is a 2-4 lb mini sledge hammer.

Is that the brake shoe remnants between the impact gun and spray can? If so they look shot. Hard to see in your picture but I don't see any friction material on the shoes. The friction material shouldn't have come off of the metal bases. 

Yes, I agree. My hammer of choice for that job is a 2-4 lb mini sledge hammer.

Is that the brake shoe remnants between the impact gun and spray can? If so they look shot. Hard to see in your picture but I don't see any friction material on the shoes. The friction material shouldn't have come off of the metal bases. 

Good call Merle. Yes those shoes are shot. Take the metal bases to a good brake shop and have them relined. I use www.brakeplace.com which will do mail order if you can't find a local place.

Spent about an hour tonight removing the pieces off the drums.. probably simple no-brainer stuff for you guys but I've never really dealt with a car older than the late 80s so this stuff is all odd for my young self.  

Laid out so to get this photo so reassembly is hopefully an ease.

k01hG4o.jpg

I can see my my late grandpa had problems with the brakes, just look at how plugged up these rear wheel cylinders are!

Rear Drivers Side:

mshap8A.jpg

Rear Passenger Side:

8XeBDNF.jpg

Will be replacing the shoes, metal lines, and the rubber lines in near future.

For now will be installing these NOS units.. the rubber is still soft and supple.  Like a bullfrog belly.

x92bTaB.jpg

Edited by epix1718

I would get the drums turned & have the new/relined shoes arced to the drums....numbered/marked for each drum. I agree, if you only had to use a rubber mallet, you got off easy, which means, if you ever have to remove the water distribution tube....you're going to work twice as hard. :eek:

• 1 month later...

No real updates, been busy with an engine swap on one of the other vehicles (LS3 416 stroker into the Trailblazer SS) and frankly it has been COLD.  Garage is not heated and barely insulated so dislike spending time out there.  In the mean time have collected a couple more parts.  4x new old stock "throwaway" oil canisters, ignition tune-up parts, and got a catalog from Kanter Auto in the mail and saw they had a FULL brake overhaul kit for what I thought was a pretty fair price.. $510 shipped for the parts below

Kanter Kit

Each kit contains Everything you need:

• 4 Wheel Brake Shoes/Linings
  • 3 Hydraulic Hoses
  • Return Springs
  • 4 Wheel Cylinders
  • 1 Master Cylinder

Should be here early next week and I drug the Salamander Heater out from the barn so trying to get the ball rolling again.

Did take the dog out for a Christmas ride though!

MjjF8ea.jpg

Edited by epix1718
  • Like 2

Quick update, the Kanter brake kit arrived.  Looks to be pretty nice even with the "Made in China" stickers on the boxes.  Unlikely this stuff is made in the US anymore but as long as it works..  As much I wanted to use the NOS wheel cylinders I figured just to go ahead and use a brand new kit.  Piece of mind for me.

Entire Kit

7tgZqQJ.jpg?1

I like this sticker the most

itS3YYE.jpg?1

Also not that I need another project, 1983 Honda Nightwawk 650 for $350, runs but needs a little tune-up.. I think I'm up to about 10 motorcycles now!  Right after we picked up the bike my step-dad was hinting that he likes the bike so I'm just going to give it to him.  We mini-restored a 75 CB200 last year.

BHNeyUt.jpg?1

Weather is suppose to be nice this weekend and the plant is fogging so I'll have a couple days off to tinker with the Plymouth.

Edited by epix1718

Hey EPiX, I don't want to derail your thread here but, is this you from the Soviet Steeds forum? http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34860  I really enjoyed that report!

Looks like we're cut from the same cloth.

Keep the posts coming here; I'm looking forward to following your progress.

Hey EPiX, I don't want to derail your thread here but, is this you from the Soviet Steeds forum? http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34860  I really enjoyed that report!

Looks like we're cut from the same cloth.

Keep the posts coming here; I'm looking forward to following your progress.

Yup that's me!  Small world.. that our us "weirdos" just have very similar hobbies lol 

Thanks for the words, out of all the cars/vehicles I've ever owned this one means a lot to me.  I have some big plans for it but in the meantime just having it being able to operate once again is the primary goal.