adjusting drum brakes

Mr.Yuck

So I have my new drum.hub and brakes. I went to put the front drum on and it will not fit (w/o tappping w/ a hammer). I have a 51 1/2 ton that somebody put a 3/4 tont front axle from a 52-54. It appears that the only way to adjust the shoes is w/ 2 cams at the base. The top is the "sticking" point. Anybody have any ideas?

The 2 minor adjusters are on the other side of the backing plate, try and adjust those and see.

Are your wheel cyl pins too long?

I'll try that. Are they in the same spot as the fronts? The new wheel cylinders are dimensions the same as the old ones I pulled off.

will do the old ones were totally gone, down to the metal.

Well with this braking system (Lockheed), you need these. Once the drum are on you need to adjust toe/heel, by adjusting the major adjusters, then tweaking the minor adjusters.

You then need time for your new shoes to arc with the shoes, for a good fit....take some pics of what's going on there...and post them, do follow up when this issue is resolved.

Good info. I adjusted the uppers and it slid on. I'll go ahead and adjust both now. Truck will be up in the air for a few... waiting on a fule pump and I have to send the carb back. It is leaking out of the throttle shaft. Old motor runs really well thou. Almost hate to pull it.

Have you got an adjustment tool like the Ammco or Miller tool, to get those shoes adjusted very close, for total surface contact?

If not, another method, as per Bob.H, and possibly factory setup. Point bottom arrows toward each other, then adjust minor adjusters for light brake contact as you spin the wheel.

Periodically check wear and adjust minors. This has worked well for me, but not for some others.

Unless you have had your brake shoes arced to your drums, they need to wear in to the drum radius for a while....good luck

So I have my new drum.hub and brakes. I went to put the front drum on and it will not fit (w/o tappping w/ a hammer). I have a 51 1/2 ton that somebody put a 3/4 tont front axle from a 52-54. It appears that the only way to adjust the shoes is w/ 2 cams at the base. The top is the "sticking" point. Anybody have any ideas?

Read this for reference...

• Like 1