Can I "shave" the top half of my carb to get it to seal

Tatback

After rebuilding my carburetor (it was leaking like a sieve from around the gasket the last time we had it running) I noticed the problem is the top half itself. It seems to be badly warped. Could I sand it down slightly to even it out? I was planning to place the sandpaper on a piece of glass and running the top half over it back and fourth to even it out.

CB4827E9-C154-492F-9778-B86A4F9A0FD6_zps

7A14DAC6-C231-4F37-821A-A973F3088257_zps

A854AEA9-AE1C-47E6-BFCF-B4DBF8209C47_zps

EE0DB9C9-0B4F-4F00-AC86-ED8DC05E4953_zps

• Like 1

Ok cool, thank you all. I'll probably try to get it more in shape with some light persuasion with a small hammer. Then I'll sand it and even double up on the gaskets.

Shel_ny

This is how it was when I took it off the car. The guy before me could of flipped things around (a lot of stuff was poorly done)

AFF80F7F-8E60-4995-8F99-4D43663E3657_zps

Can you please tell me how it should be.

Tatback,I haven't the need to true up the mating surfaces on a carburetor,however I would suggest using a figure eight pattern when sanding. 

• Like 2

For the upper rod clip in the first pic, before you secure it to the rod, start the rod in the hole in the rod clip, then through the carb piece, then through the other hole in the rod clip, then swing it onto the rod to lock it in. Hope this makes sense, you can kind of see it in Don's pic of his linkage. The clip should "sandwich" the piece/lever on the carb....not on 1 side like shown on yours.

• 4 weeks later...

So, unless i'm totally missing the point of the thread, I think the poster is asking about sealing the air horn to the bowl assy.

I had to do this for a later Carter BBS for one of my '54 Plymouths.

I used the large (9" X 11") sandpaper sheets (red in color,) found in many stores including WalMarts. 80 grit works well. 100 grit would work also.

Lay the paper on a known flat smooth hard surface -face-up- and set the airhorn on it and start the sanding process with circular movements.

Perhaps taping the paper at its edges to the underlying surface will make the task easier for you.

This worked for me.

Good luck with it!

Den-

I had a friend with a Chrysler 300.  One of the tops of the Carter AFB's was distorted like the BB in this thread.

I took a 3/8 inch steel plate and we drilled holes in it to match the carb top.  We tapped them.  Then we screwed it down, but not too snug.

Then it went into an oven to 400F.  After 30 minutes we pulled it out and tightened the screws.  Then back into the over for 30 minutes.  Then we just shut off the oven and left it there until room temp.

When we unscrewed it, it was nice and flat.

James.

• Like 1