1940 Dodge Paint Color References (Body and Under the Hood)

thomasbarnett12

Hello,

My name is Thomas and I am restoring a 1940 Dodge D14 Business Coupe.

I was hoping someone could help me answer some questions about paint colors.

I am keeping the car as original as possible (while still making it drivable, not a show car) so I was wondering if anyone could direct me towards a reference of some kind for what colors the various engine components should be?  At one time I thought I had come across such a reference but can not seem to locate it again.

Lastly I found an advertisement for my car from 1940 that I would like to model my car after but I cannot seem to find the paint color of the car that is in the attached picture.

I have searched the internet may times and have found many paint chip references for 1940 Dodge colors but have yet to see the color of in the attached picture.

Would anyone be able to help direct me to where I could find out what this paint color is?

Thank you anyone and everyone for your assistance.

Dodge Paint Color.pdf

From what I've seen over the yrs I think in 1940 Dodge used artists paintings, artwork in the car brochures & advertising, at least that's what I've seen....I've had my Oz 1940 Dodge since 1971, originally it was a metallic gold/light brown colour, however as mopars in Oz in 1940 were Plymouth based re chassis, wheelbase, etc its possible the colours may have been US Plymouth also.......that Coupe in the orange colour looks like the similar artwork in both the 1940 Oz sales brochures I have for Dodge and Plymouth, very much an artist or advertising interpretation.......still very nice tho'..........anyway welcome aboard, these guys know their stuff.........heres a pic of my "ol brown turd, its been a hotrod since 1973, 318 Poly, auto, 4 wheel discs, etc..........got a pic of your car?..........regards, Andy Douglas      

post-612-0-51171200-1448656655_thumb.jpg

Never assume that the colours in a car brochure are even close to what they really used.   Even if the car shown is a photograph.   When I was a kid I loved the 1953 Studebaker hardtop and the ad had it in a nice yellow colour.  Many years later I found out Studebaker never offered a yellow in 1953, although they did in 1954.  Advertising and production rarely shared notes.

Anyway, attached is the chip chart for the American-built 1940 Dodge.  It has the Dodge paint codes listed along with the DuPont paint codes (which are of little use these days).

post-463-0-43172800-1448785457_thumb.jpg