fuel flowing back down to the pump when sitting for a while

finmad

Can you guys give me some advice on this? When my truck sits over night, the fuel flows back down to the pump and upon start up, I have to run the starter for a while to get the fuel pump to push enough fuel up to the carb for it to start. I don't believe this is normal, does it indicate a bad fuel pump or a check ball not working in the carb or???

Sounds normal to me. It is called rapid evaporation of the corn alcohol supplemented gasoline sold today. Carter B&B carburetors are vented. The fuel in the carburetor bowl evaporates and must be replaced before the engine will fire.  Some have installed electric fuel pumps to prime the carburetor prior to cranking the starter.

• Like 1

gravity...beside...there is no way it is going to drain from your carb fuel bowl to the tank or pump...there is plenty of fuel in there as a reserve to start and run your engine while the pump get its required priming strokes to replenish...

So then the evaporation theory sounds logical. I was wondering why the bowls would be empty since the fuel line is up high on the carb. If it is normal, then I guess I will live with it.

The combination of modern fuel and warmer climes makes this condition a very real situation. I have gotten past this using a full time electric fuel pump and a home made heat shield under the float bowl.

I like this set up a lot. I removed the mechanical pump and blanked it off. I have a vane type electric pump mounted back near the tank. A large sealed pre-filter ahead of the pump and another sealed filter mounted on the inner fender a short distance ahead of the carb. Keeps the fuel supply cool until it reach's the carb and eliminates any possiblity of dillution of the oil in the crankcase by a fuel pump failure. 

The heat shield is held in place on top of the manifold with safety wire. It is in place to slow down evaporation of fuel in the carb when the engine has been shut off. Without it the heat soak effect of the manifolds is enough to percolate this modern fuel in the float bowl shortly after shut off.

With this set up I get pretty much instant starts and never have to give it a thought.

Jeff

I do wish the warmer climate was an issue here in the NW!

I do wish the warmer climate was an issue here in the NW!

Bob...be careful what you wish for :o ......it may be headed your way. This current El Nino condition is the strongest ever recorded. This September and October showed me just how strong it actually is. There were Blue Marlin and Wahoo caught daily here. Both species and several others have been pushed up the coast a thousand miles from their normal stomping grounds. This has never happened during my lifetime or as far as I know since records have been kept. Monterey Bay has seen an incredible influx of life this year as well. Some that were there many years past and many species that belong in warmer more tropical areas. I understand that this fall the waters off BC were home to a lot of Tuna quite late into the year. It should be noted as well that the waters off Cabo San Lucas the normal location for the Blue Marlin and Wahoo caught here are currently too warm to support them.

Some forecasters say that this El Nino will dissipate late in the spring. Others are not so sure. I have observed enough very solid changes in our local climate to believe that it is far from over. It has finally cooled off some here but it is by no means back to normal. Scientists are still recording record high temperatures around the Pacific Ocean and we all know where are weather comes from.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff Balazs

Can you guys give me some advice on this? When my truck sits over night, the fuel flows back down to the pump and upon start up, I have to run the starter for a while to get the fuel pump to push enough fuel up to the carb for it to start. I don't believe this is normal, does it indicate a bad fuel pump or a check ball not working in the carb or???

Next time go out there early and pull the top off the carb. You can do it without taking the carb off the manifold. Some of the fuel will evaporate but I don't think you should be empty after just a couple days. There is also a check valve in the fuel pump that could be bad allowing the fuel line from pump to carb to empty.