'48 Plymouth business coupe

Roundeye67

I have a '48 p15 that I want to turn in to a hotrod eventually. Im going to have some stock parts for sell if anyone is interested. Im going to start with the interior, Im looking for suggestions on bucket seats as far as some that would be easy to mount in the car. I want to install a grant steering wheel, does anyone know the right installation kit for the '48?

First, welcome to the forum, a lot of great info here. Second, post parts for sale in the classifieds, so this thread doesn't get locked. Third, the search function can be your best friend....most likely, whatever info you're looking for, it's probably been discussed. Good luck and pics are always welcome.

you best bet for the steering wheel adapter is from the dealer/retailer offering the Grant wheel for sale...I have never visited their site on line but that may also be an option, often providers have an application part number catalog for your ordering convenience...  Seat...most modern style bolt to special seat risers welded within the car...they are special as he modern bucket also has the seat belt installed to its frame and thus the security of the fastening tot he floor is quite beefed compared to old school seat mounts..be careful when mixing and matching you keep this safety related issue in mind.

Original steering wheel diameter is around 17 inches. Anything smaller will require a lot more muscle to turn the wheel especially when the car is not moving. Unless you are installing power steering I suggest you get the largest wheel possible. Per the website the largest wheel Grant offers is 16.5 inches and that is a chain grip wheel.

post-16-0-97678900-1448629508_thumb.jpg

chain grip wheel is about the tackiest looking wheel not to mention a very dangerous item to have in your vehicle...got a project one time with one of these...I cannot recall what I did with it but I assure you it was one of the first pieces to be permanently removed...heck it probably on a rat rod somewhere..about the only place it would be at home beside a trash can..lot of folks look at the larger over the road semi for larger modern wheels

• Like 1

I plan on leaving the stock drivetrain in it for awhile as long as I can get it running again and I figure out what to drop in it. Im not too worried about the size of the steering wheel as I use to have a '67 mustang without power steering and a grant steering wheel. Im also looking for ideas as far as what to do behind the seat if I decide to remove the trunk extension.

• 2 weeks later...

Why change the steering wheel ? The special deluxe wheel is beautifull with the horn ring etc.  I suggest you get a  Suburban third row seat.  I found a leather one in new condition for $30 and died it to match my convertible top.  They are plentifull as owners either take them out or fold them down. They have a latch so you can fold them forward for access to the back seat in coups.  They are 46 inches wide for a perfect fit.   The leather buckets cost more but look great in there.

I have 48 special deluxe and thought to do the same thing with the 3rd row seat out of an suburban or what not, mines not a coupe, you hear of anyone using two of those , one for back and front seat?? What you do for the bracket ?

Roundeye,

If memory serves, I originally installed a Grant steering wheel (smaller dia.) when my car was essentially stock.  However, it looked like a Hotrod because it also had big 'n littles and a rake via cut coils.  That got me started on "the look" with almost no cost.  It was a good start.  Yes, a smaller wheel increases steering effort and the ride a little stiffer but that's the cost of looking cool.  I never regretted that,....the extra effort required that is  :lol: .

Edited by mrwrstory

Jarv,

You can't buy "custom" brackets.  You build'm or pay someone else to do so.  Anything you imagine, like "seats out of a Suburban" will require some modification/fabrication.  Get out the tape measure and go to the wrecking yard.  I like bench seats so here's what I did,...so far.

123-2357_img.jpg

-

IMG_3992_zps08d0b5d3.jpg

-

I see your in LA.  Why not join us for the Old Mopar Breakfast January 17.  Go to the "OT Forum" and check the thread "Old Mopar Breakfast"

I plan on leaving the stock drivetrain in it for awhile as long as I can get it running again and I figure out what to drop in it. Im not too worried about the size of the steering wheel as I use to have a '67 mustang without power steering and a grant steering wheel. Im also looking for ideas as far as what to do behind the seat if I decide to remove the trunk extension.

The 67 Mustang had a more modern steering box that gives more mechanical leverage than the one that is in your P-15.

My suggestion is to not sell your original steering wheel until after you have bought,installed,and tried the smaller Grant wheel.

Jarv,

You can't buy "custom" brackets. You build'm or pay someone else to do so. Anything you imagine, like "seats out of a Suburban" will require some modification/fabrication. Get out the tape measure and go to the wrecking yard. I like bench seats so here's what I did,...so far.

123-2357_img.jpg

-

IMG_3992_zps08d0b5d3.jpg

-

I see your in LA. Why not join us for the Old Mopar Breakfast January 17. Go to the "OT Forum" and check the thread "Old Mopar Breakfast"

I welded in a couple 4 inch high  by 2 inch wide channels I had bent length ways and put 3/8 studs from all thread in the suburban seat with holes drilled to match in the channels for the back seat.  I did a small modification to the original front seat housing to fit the new seat  better and placed the other surburban seat in.  I may change the front seats to suburban buckets though they are alot more expensive than the third row like new leather ones I got for $30 apice.  The suburban third row seats are the right width for the Plymouth.  I would paint the original steering wheel and use it if its a deluxe model..  Ill add some pictures later.

I installed a 360 (same OD as 318) and auto trans with Volare rearend in my P-15.  New IFS.  Addressed many of the issues you are asking about.  Check http://p15-d24.com/topic/22985-im-back/page-6 for my build thread.  It's rather sparse now on pics because the major chunks of building and decision making occurred a number of years ago and I have moved many of the pics.  Check my PhotoBucket album http://smg.photobucket.com/user/wstory/library/PlyProj2011?sort=6&page=1

I'm very pleased with how the build worked out.  Please feel free to contact me if you have questions.  Here's a pic to get you "piqued".  

IMG_1301_zps3669b60e.jpg

• Like 1