1942 Dodge "Job Rated" 1/2 ton Pickup Spare TIre

Tubeviper

I think you mean   " job Rated "  . The spare tire goes up under the rear of the bed . It has a mostly flat heavy piece of steel across the tire that is held in place with two bolts . One of the bolts has a large wing nut . If you go to the 1939 - 1947 Dodge truck site there are probably some photos . Also in the links section of that site you will probably find a vendor who is selling new reproductions . I see them on ebay every now and then in used condition . 

• 2 weeks later...

This must be what we're talking about. What an easy thing to make. Does anyone have an original one which they could a picture of with a yard stick and then post the photo? Also exactly where do the two support bolts mount to the truck?

Thanks!

B-606.jpg.

I couldn't find a picture of a lose one of these but I can tell you how it goes. The front non wing nut bolt goes to a U channel between the frame rails. Will have a bolt hole for the holder on the pass side. The back wing nut bolt goes on the back drivers corner of the frame. The carrier goes diagonal under the truck and the tire is pushed against the cross member.

This must be what we're talking about. What an easy thing to make. Does anyone have an original one which they could a picture of with a yard stick and then post the photo? Also exactly where do the two support bolts mount to the truck?

Thanks!

B-606.jpg.

Hey those bolts look familiar!

• Like 1

Thanks!

B-606.jpg.Dodge Central of Michigan ( also known as DCM Classics } sells them at $255 with the bolts . They also sell the rear bumper that you were asking about for $350 or the bumper and brackets and bolts for $475 . 

• 1 month later...

that carrier looks very similar to the one on my B-4; looking at the parts book, the '53 has a different part number than the '48-'52.  I picked up one of each on eBay years ago, and they are roughly the same size, with the B-4 carrier being a few pounds lighter.  If your spare tire fits onto the carrier you have, and it fits onto your truck, I say use it...if somebody has a problem with that, have a discussion with them in the parking lot--bring the carrier with ya  :cool:

Just double checking - is the carrier below incorrect for 1942 then? Was it later?

Carrier_zpsazz37py3.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Does this spare carrier look correct for my '42 WC? It looks to be the correct basic shape and configuration...

s-l1600_zpse1nlkyuf.jpg

Its the closest one I have found so far.

How does the carrier mount? The front end of the carrier (bolt end above) to the passenger  side and then the rear end of the carrier (right end above) to the rear driver side of the vehicle?

Thanks,

Thanks, Ed, Now I just have to take delivery of it, clean it up, paint it and see what size wheel fits it. Then get the spare tire made, and then it's off to the bumpers!  

One more question, which end of the carrier goes forward and which goes rearward?

Thanks!

"wing nut" rearward http://dodgepilothouseclub.org/know/DriversManualB3BandB3C/Drivers_manual050.html