ignition timing for a 53 plymouth

daveygravey

If you have a service manual for your car it will tell you all of the information that your are asking. It will also tell you the points gap, spark plug gap and the timing mark that you will time the engine against with a timing light.

On my 39 Desoto inline 6 I use 2 Degrees before TDC. but yours might be a little pit different. ALso get a Chiltons Manaul for your car. These are available at swap meets and look in the book to make sure your car is included intthe contents.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• 4 weeks later...

When I rebuilt mine in 2006 I set mine at 10 degrees before, ran real good.  Took a 4800 mile trip in summer of 2007, when I got home kept hearing a clicking in the engine.  Blue Skies convinced me to pull the pan and rock the crank back and forward and watch the wrist pens.  Turns out that not only did I extrude all six wrist pen bushings but also broke two top rings, #5 and #6.  I thought that I would be out of vacuum advance but after  I got it running again I discovered that it still pulled 15 inches at 70 mph.  Do the math for centrifugal plus 15 inches of vacuum advance plus the initial 10 degrees and see what you get.  You get a broken engine that ran strong but broke in the end..

James, I had a similar issue with my fresh engine. Had the timing advanced about 5-6 degrees. On a road trip going up a steep hill I heard it pinging. Backed the timing off to no advance and it has ran well ever since. Not all engines are the same and the book recommendation should be used as a guideline only. As someone recommended advance the timing to the point it pings and back off until the pinging stops.

Louie Muller's BBQ, his son Jr. who ran the pits left the business and tried doing something else but came back to Austin and opened a BBQ food trailer.  His old helper,Arron Franklin is listed as one of the best BBQ places, he has a brick  and motor business in Austin where people line up starting about 10:00 in the morning for lunch at 12:00.  Franklin's wife counts them down the line as he only prepares so much BBQ each day and if you are past that point you just go home.  Muller's is in Taylor in the same old building but Jr's younger brother and sister run the business now.  Still Good BBQ, and the walls are still almost black from the oak smoke, they never paint the place.  It would lose it's character or ambiance if they did.

• Like 1