Adventures of Dolly Dodge Nov 2015

DollyDodge

Glad it is working now, here is another one from the same day. It is a bit longer and has DD coming into Bishop from thesouth and dragging main street.

Well I wish......I did catch about 4 green lights in a row this morning :lol: Probably got 2 miles in without having to stop. Doesn't happen that often.....made me feel special. :wub: Thanks for the videos.

Jeff

• Like 1

Great videos of the old DD. Sure is good to see her on the road again.

Have you tried a spring from the throttle linkage to the inner guard?... that fixed the same issue for me in the52 truck. We have discussed them a few times on the forum - see photo from Hank at post #9 on this thread... http://p15-d24.com/topic/28496-accelerator-return-spring/?hl=%2Bthrottle+%2Blinkage+%2Bspring#entry284580 . I don't think that I have any of those springs left, otherwise I would send you one.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the sticking throttle issue you mention may have had something to do with a sticking plunger, so I suppose that you could try pulling the top of the carby and removing/soaking the plunger in some oil?

I had a problem with my throttle sticking too. I finally fixed it by spraying some Super Lube with Teflon on all the pivot points, including where the horizontal rod goes through the bracket on he back of the block. The linkage moves more freely now and the sticky throttle went away.

Merle

Great videos of the old DD. Sure is good to see her on the road again.

Have you tried a spring from the throttle linkage to the inner guard?... that fixed the same issue for me in the52 truck. We have discussed them a few times on the forum - see photo from Hank at post #9 on this thread... http://p15-d24.com/topic/28496-accelerator-return-spring/?hl=%2Bthrottle+%2Blinkage+%2Bspring#entry284580 . I don't think that I have any of those springs left, otherwise I would send you one.

FEF had this fix when I tore him down and needed it after build.  super simple and SOOO effective.

• Like 1

FEF had this fix when I tore him down and needed it after build.  super simple and SOOO effective.

Same here and I give it a huge thumbs up. Do this and you will never have that problem again. It may have originated down under but it should have been done at the factory. Try it...you'll like it. :)

Jeff

Thanks all.  I have the new spring that goes to the floor board, but I don't have the one that goes from card to the fender.  I may try that, and lube as Merle suggests.  That second spring looks like a great idea to me.  I don't ever remember seeing it on any of the old PH trucks we had though.

Shouldn't need two springs if the throttle linkage is free and correct tension OE type spring.

Thin good Lube would be good.

• Like 1

Shouldn't need two springs if the throttle linkage is free and correct tension OE type spring.

so you are saying my freshly rebuild (and cleaned) carb and linkage should not have needed it...I'd disagree...LOTS.

I've seen that on several trucks that I picked (majority) and almost every inner fender had at least a cotter pin in the hole for one.

so you are saying my freshly rebuild (and cleaned) carb and linkage should not have needed it...I'd disagree...LOTS.

I've seen that on several trucks that I picked (majority) and almost every inner fender had at least a cotter pin in the hole for one.

Maybe if we lived in a perfect world and had a stockpile of NOS parts? It is really hard to say what is worn or incorrect after 65 years. I do know that I have driven mine with and without this extra spring and much prefer it with the extra spring in place. Besides eliminating the high idle issue I believe it provides some additional safety in ensuring that the throttle will return even if the main spring fails. Doesn't really matter if it is bone stock or not. To me it is sort of like the difference between using the stock single chamber M/C or a more modern dual chamber M/C. Given the choice I know which one I would pick.

Jeff

My truck came with a "helper spring" over to the inner fender (complete with cotter pin and washer).

With the new motor I eliminated it and instead installed a dual (concentric) spring setup extending to a bracket on the toe board. Works great!

If throttle / bellcrank parts are worn, there may be some slack that the lower spring won't remove, that a helper spring would alleviate.

At the Clements "Show n' Shine" next spring, we should revise the judging manual so as not to deduct the 25 points from trucks having a second spring. :D

• Like 3

At the Clements "Show n' Shine" next spring, we should revise the judging manual so as not to deduct the 25 points from trucks having a second spring. :D

LOL, I'll remember that if I get to judge next year  :P

I thought I remember seeing a service bulletin at some point about adding the spring...might have to dig thru my books and extra paper stuff at some point.

• Like 1

the second spring argument again... :rolleyes:

according to the parts manual, there is a spring on the bell crank (14-14-1:  640 407) and a spring for the throttle return (14-06-1:  1088 169) that is routed to the floorboard...the assumption is that THIS is the original setup.  I am assuming that the second spring was added as needed as part of some sort of service bulletin to address wear along the throttle linkage...after all, it is only a gdspring :cool:

Edited by JBNeal

the second spring argument again... :rolleyes:

according to the parts manual, there is a spring on the bell crank (14-14-1:  640 407) and a spring for the throttle return (14-06-1:  1088 169) that is routed to the floorboard...the assumption is that THIS is the original setup.  I am assuming that the second spring was added as needed as part of some sort of service bulletin to address wear along the throttle linkage...after all, it is only a gdspring :cool:

I'd agree that it wasn't ORIGINAL, but from what I've seen many have it and as I said, I think i remember seeing a service bulletin someplace about installation.

I'd agree that it wasn't ORIGINAL, but from what I've seen many have it and as I said, I think i remember seeing a service bulletin someplace about installation.

OK, OK... if you show up with service bulletin sheet and extra spring installed (NOS only please, including NOS cotter pin) exactly as the bulletin described, only then will no points be deducted. Maybe you'll get extra points?

Haha...

• Thanks 1