New Member ... 1953 Truck

Chiefrocka

Chiefrocka, welcome from Australia! What a sweet find.

Merle, you can see from photo where the bed side panels are being pressure washed that it had the stepside type guards.

Chief, I got mine running after 30 years of being parked by a farmer. Took the head off to free 3 stuck valves, new coil, new plugs and away it went. They seem fairly forgiving. Regards, Martyn

• 1 year later...

Howdy John,

What a awesome score. Even though you work on vehicles for a living I think your going to enjoy working on your '53. Pilothouses are bulletproof, simple,and just plain fun to work on. Keep the updates and pictures coming.

John

Edited by John Rogers

Thanks guys !!!

Working on classics is fun, but sometimes you get burned out on it (as the old saying goes, "the plumbers pipes leak")

Anyway, I am gonna keep plugging away...

Updates soon !

• Like 1

On 12/1/2015 at 3:42 PM, John-T-53 said:

Another San Leandro Truck...

Looks like you have a solid starting point John. Are you planning on going back to the original green color... or too early to tell yet?

It appears that your title is correct as information from the registry (which John provided the link for) says it's a 53 truck...

85322595.JPG

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2015 at 8:03 PM, Chiefrocka said:

Really ??

Well that's good to know !!!

The title says '53 ... lets see what else we can come up with, shall we ?!?!?

Well, the dash gauge arrangement is 51-53 so the 48-50 grill shell was swapped somewhere along the line.

My girlfriend was busy today...so I lit a fire under her butt by paint the cowl area. She wants to do it,.so maybe this will get her going ....:D

20170517_174535.jpg

• Like 1

Not sure why there is a gash in the pass. side firewall. I should of pulled and repaired it before t came home.

Sucks when all your tools are at your business....

20170517_182455.jpg

Edited by Chiefrocka
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Back again with a few more updates....Really busy at home and work.

Next up was mocking up a simple GM alternator mount. I removed, and saved the OG Generator mount.

The mount was designed to allow adjustment front to rear, besides belt tension...

I dislike the fact that it is chrome, but its left over at my shop, which means its FREE. I may disassemble, blast and paint the case black...

20170703_084300_resized.jpg

20170703_101320_resized.jpg

20170703_103017_resized.jpg

20170705_180148_resized.jpg

20170705_180154_resized.jpg

20170705_180204_resized.jpg

I had a partial box of leftover MSD wires with 90* boots...those went on (stlll need to cut and terminate)

Also, this Tstat neck has seen better days...

2yoeolw.jpg

Nice tubing work!

One note...you might not be able to get the starter out with the return oil line tight to the starter. I pick up on this kinda thing as I work on these old Mopars everyday and like room to remove things!:)

• Like 1

On 7/12/2017 at 8:44 PM, Dodgeb4ya said:

Nice tubing work!

One note...you might not be able to get the starter out with the return oil line tight to the starter. I pick up on this kinda thing as I work on these old Mopars everyday and like 

I knew that when I made the line. 

Removing the line to get at starter would only add about 30 seconds to job, including plugging the can. 

I'm not too worried about it currently,  but I totally get you. 

Wow, great workmanship. I tired of mounting that starter and my knee did not like the started push post so I switched to a car starter and a start button. Would not go back. Keep the pics coming. 

Edited by pflaming