cowl vent seal

finmad

just got a cowl vent seal for my 47, I don't want to put it in wrong. one side is flat with a little lip and the other side has rounded edges. which side goes up?

FC61EA78-0771-4EA5-9D4E-E5B6BBD7D091_zps

78D5C543-875B-4E47-B61B-88B6C6B4E728_zps

I used a light coat of windshield sealer just to hold it down tight, then I put a piece of saran wrap over it (incase any sealer pusses out) and pulled the cowl vent down super tight to lock it in place while the sealer dries.

using a good painters tape, the 3M blue is great but you can use regular masking tape also...mask your contact area on the body of the vehicle using 3M contact cement brush on a medium coat and let dry also at the same time brush on a medium coat to the seal and let dry to the touch...now install the seal..be ye careful for as soon as these two dry surfaces touch..you have instant bonding..them yellow 3M glue in a tube is nothing but a disaster waiting to happen..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

Interesting. I have never heard of using contact cement like that. I would have thought that it would not weather well and just release after a short while. I have been using a tube of black stuff by 3M for a while now. It can be messy but if you are careful it holds like a son of a gun.

Jeff

I use the method as I mentioned above for clean neat results...nothing is more distracting that to see an open car door and yellow or black adhesive all over the place..but then again, maybe I am just a bit more pickier..it's like the car that shines like new money from the outside...the hood compartment and trunk looks like a pack of wolves had been living and scratching around in there...was a T-bird in this fashion at the swap meet...I would have been embarrassed to have even opened the hood...but open it he did...he was trying to get it started so to try and sell the beast...no way the car was worth 1/2 the asking price....but then again..that is just my opinion.....could have been worth twice the price to a guy looking I guess..

that is the ONLY method for using contact cement..that is why it is called contact cement ...it makes its adhesive bond on contact...to try and use this stuff while in fluid state...another step to disaster...

Sorry I misunderstood your post. I can see now it was about technique. I was thinking you were talking about generic contact cement and a lot of that stuff does not stand up to any sort of weather.

The 3M weatherstrip adhesive I had mentioned is actually a type of contact cement made specifically for automotive use. It is weatherproof.

Hope yours goes better then mine...my Roberts one was horrible to get to fit and is actually too thick...I've adjusted my vent numerous times, but can't get it to seal properly...gotta be careful with the wash wand where you spray now...when it was old and crusty it never leaked. I used the permatex adhesive and it did stick very well.