Another Discovery

55 Fargo

So popped off the side plates to the lifter chambers, not as clean as I would like, thats for sure.

The oil pan and bottom end were much cleaner, than in the lifter chambers.

I have sludge sitting in the little pockets, dug some out, but  looks like I need to do some work to get this area clean, maybe do the valves same time.

Anyone else have to clean this area out in a runner engine while in the vehicle, don't think leaving it alone is the better answer, although have considered it....

Fred, should be relatively easy to give it a clean. Dig the worst out and then take a toothbrush or other small brush and using a bit of varsol clean out the area as best you can. I would not do a valve job unless indicated by appropriate low compression test. From what I have read about your engine in other threads it seems to have good compression, good oil pressure, and it runs well. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. My '53 has just turned 100,000 miles. I did a ring job, replaced one valve, and lapped the others at 72,000 miles many, many years ago. I am sure if I looked now there is work to be done but it runs so well and does not use oil so I am just going to leave it alone. Suggest you do the same.

Fred, should be relatively easy to give it a clean. Dig the worst out and then take a toothbrush or other small brush and using a bit of varsol clean out the area as best you can. I would not do a valve job unless indicated by appropriate low compression test. From what I have read about your engine in other threads it seems to have good compression, good oil pressure, and it runs well. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. My '53 has just turned 100,000 miles. I did a ring job, replaced one valve, and lapped the others at 72,000 miles many, many years ago. I am sure if I looked now there is work to be done but it runs so well and does not use oil so I am just going to leave it alone. Suggest you do the same.

I believe you are correct on this. Mine also does not use oil, very good oil pressure, decent compression, although 2 cyls are a bit lower.

After changing oilpan gasket, not even leaking any oil to my knowledge....

Had a Chebby friend out with me the other day, he also said keep the 6, it was running great and 100 km/h like nothing. I am chasing some vibration issues, have not figured it out yet, so not wanting to go too fast.

You and I can get away with slower vehicles where you and I drive, for the most part. I would not really enjoy these vehicles where everyone is driving 120-130 km/h up my bumper. So there are advantages to living in slower parts of prairie Canada

greg g, on 17 Nov 2015 - 4:47 PM, said:

If you have not been in that engine before you are likely dealing with lead pudding.  I would be very careful dealing with that residue.

it is good to be cautious...but unless you eating a sandwich while scooping it out with your fingers and no gloves...you get just as much if not more from a lead sinker when fishing..especially if you take it out of the tackle box and install it..why..they oxidizing...airborne dust....ca-ha...ca-ha

• Like 1

it is good to be cautious...but unless you eating a sandwich while scooping it out with your fingers and no gloves...you get just as much if not more from a lead sinker when fishing..especially if you take it out of the tackle box and install it..why..they oxidizing...airborne dust....ca-ha...ca-ha

My 96 year old father grew up in 1920's-30's London which had a highly toxic coal smoke atmosphere. He played with lead soldiers painted with lead based paint which he would occasionally put in his mouth when young. Probably ate all the wrong foods and I'm sure drank way too much beer. He  survived the entire London Blitz and four years in the Royal Army. Being a doctor, he claims that his longevity is due to the good genes he received in 1919 from his parents. :P

I think we worry too much about coming into contact with certain materials. Most of us grew up breathing fumes from leaded gas. It certainly pays to be careful around toxic materials but I think Fred would be fine cleaning out the gunk around his valve lifters. I worry more about all the chemicals, insecticides, and preservatives used to grow our food.

Yup, least of my worries, is getting in there and cleaning this area out 1 time,, not being cocky, and will wear gloves.

I have cut asbestos tile, and done a few other no-nos over the years, doing it once or twice ina lifetime, may not be as injurious as a daily routine..........

I'll have to tell you, approaching 70, looking at all the people in my life (including many no longer here)my observation is, if you're going to worry about what will make a difference, the biggest difference you can make is by taking only clean fresh air in your lungs. No dust, no smoke, nothing else. I can look around today at my contemporaries and usually tell who has and who hasn't.

Just my observation.

I have an old vacuum that works good for this kind of stuff. I attach a smaller hose to get to small areas. Stan

That's actually a good idea, and would work well, if this sludgey crud can be picked at first.

The stuff is like a fairly solid matter, and has to be dug out so to speak.

I am leaving it alone, until, I can take the intake and exhaust off again, only a year ago, so should come off easy.

The truck, does not have a removable inner fender, so it is very difficult to get into this are, with manifolds in place...