Total noob trying to salvage remnants of 1948 Dodge D24 (I think)

a_gunslinger

So I found this front end of a 1948 Dodge (D24 ?) sitting majestically in a junk yard. See pics.   Im not a restorer by ANY means, but I am getting into working with auto parts and repurposing them.  MG rear into a couch, and now this front end.  I fell in love with it.  And it was just sitting there on top of an old bus.  I had to have it.

While Im torn about cutting it up, it is pretty toasty on the back side, no firewall, and in rough condition.  But it does have the hood and a lot of character.  Least I can do is rescue it as a piece of wall art as opposed to leaving it there in the weather any longer.  Hopefully that doesn't make someone here cringe.

But I really have no idea what Im doing, but I love figuring it, learning from the experts, and taking a stab at stuff.  So here are my question should I be deemed worthy of help:

1. Is that a 1948 D24?
  2. Missing deflector and bumper.  Snowballs chance in hell of ever finding one, even if rough?
  3. With a small wallet and DIY skills (but motivated) any advice on how to refinish it on a autoparts stor or harbor frieght budget?
  4. Any info on what I have apreciated!!!!!!

Respectfully

Todd

Cincinnati

post-8663-0-06240000-1447555103_thumb.jpg

post-8663-0-65402800-1447555103_thumb.jpg

post-8663-0-15093900-1447555104_thumb.jpg

Yes 46-48 dodge D24. I don't believe there is anyway to tell them apart. I bet you could find the bumper. The filler might be a little harder. Sand it down and spray it with some rustoleum.  

Thanks for the replies!  I thought about the just behind headlights cut.  Want to  keep the end of the hood ornament and parts of that cool hood.  Any known places of good WTB sites I can check for the bumper?

gunslinger do a google search for classic auto salvage.  Lots of yards come up.  I just bought a really good rear fender for my 47 dodge from French Lake for $125.  That was half to 1/3 the price of everywhere else.    http://www.frenchlakeautoparts.com/

gunslinger do a google search for classic auto salvage.  Lots of yards come up.  I just bought a really good rear fender for my 47 dodge from French Lake for $125.  That was half to 1/3 the price of everywhere else.    http://www.frenchlakeautoparts.com/

Great yard and I can personally say that they have at least a couple d24s. Last trip I was there was about 3 weeks ago.

Great yard and I can personally say that they have at least a couple d24s. Last trip I was there was about 3 weeks ago.

Thanks.  Under their search I didnt see Dodge D24 as an option.  What did you search under - or did you just call?

Thanks.  Under their search I didnt see Dodge D24 as an option.  What did you search under - or did you just call?

I just go there. you should call. They have a lot of older stuff that isn't inventoried.

Awesome.  Will call em.  Looks like most bumpers are going to costs more than I paid for the entire front end ;^)

a_gunslinger, on 15 Nov 2015 - 5:48 PM, said:

Awesome.  Will call em.  Looks like most bumpers are going to costs more than I paid for the entire front end ;^)

welcome to the hobby.....where pay to play and you get what you pay for run hand in hand...try working a whole car for a true deep pocket project.. :P

• 2 weeks later...

So I got this front end cut and ready to start sanding for paint.  Any thoughts on historically accurate color?  ;^)

Bumper is being shipped.

Im left with a pile of scrap metal and some various parts.  IS there any value, to me or anyone else, to these parts?  I hate to toss them if they have value or they could help someone. 

Remainder of fender, fuse or other electric box (?) inside the fender, mystery bar, wiring harness, hood hinges ?  See below.

d24.jpg

Spare parts:

cut_hood.jpg

fender1.jpg

fender2.jpg

harness.jpg

bar.jpg

That's going to look pretty sharp when your are done!

For colours, I have attached the DuPont colour chart for 1946 to 1948 Dodges.  Might give you some ideas.   The paint formulas will not be of much use as the paints and the tints have changed over the years. 

post-463-0-58009800-1448786813_thumb.jpg

post-463-0-56813300-1448786830_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the positive feedback.  Makes me feel better because the wife sure doesn't see the vision ;^)

Like the lights and speakers ideas as well.

Agree about not painting.  I do love the black and bluish and primer color combo as it shows now.

Question about polishing.  Should I just knock off the flaking paint (and moss ;^) and if so, wwith what?  Light sand paper on dual action sander or would that be too much.  And by polish are we talking regular old car wax?

My last obstacle is going to be figuring out how to mount the complete bumper since there is no framing to secure it to, and I have no welding equipment.  All ideas welcome.

And everyone was so distracted by the project pic that no one answered my main question - is all the remaining stuff scrap or could it be used by someone?

I needed one side of the hood hinge complete 1 year ago.  But I found one.  Someone might need it.  The rest is mostly scrap now that it's been cut.  Unless someone needs patch panels from the sheet metal that you have left.  You might try ebay for the hood hinges.

That's going to look pretty sharp when your are done!

For colours, I have attached the DuPont colour chart for 1946 to 1948 Dodges.  Might give you some ideas.   The paint formulas will not be of much use as the paints and the tints have changed over the years. 

Looks like there might have been some Plata Blue in there ;^)

Also, any way to "improve" the pitted chrome?  Obviously without re-chroming its toasty but didn't know if there were any DIY poor mans ways to at least improve it.

You've got such a variation in paint quality you have two choices as far as I'm concerned.  Give it a good scrubbing to get rid of all the flakey stuff and moss, etc and clear coat it or strip it down and finish it off with fresh paint.  You have very little good paint left to sand and polish.  Sand and polish in this case means 1500 or 2000 grit sandpaper, rubbing compound and buffer.  If you just want to wax it, use a cleaner wax.  they're abit more aggressive and may remove some oxidation.  You can try chrome polish and rubbing with aluminum foil on the shiny bits, may help.  You'll need to build a stand to put it on so the bumper doesn't cover up the park lights and you can bolt the bumper to the stand.  Your stand could be bolted together instead of welded if needed or you could mock it up and then find someone to do the finish welds.

Edited by Dave72dt

Also, any way to "improve" the pitted chrome?  Obviously without re-chroming its toasty but didn't know if there were any DIY poor mans ways to at least improve it.

You will be surprised what an improvement you can get with very fine steel wool.

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...