Best spark plug for a 47 Dodge?

central52

I'm thinking of changing the spark plugs on my 47 Dodge. After looking over previous threads on this subject, the consensus seems to favor the Autolite 306. What do you people think? And what about the cold and hot plugs? Should I make a decision on that? I drive mostly in the warm weather, (spring, summer, fall), but I do take the car out during winter occassionaly, if there's no snow. Ed

Are those NGK's made in the USA?

Autolite made in China,AC used tobe made in Flint, Mi.  They are now part ofDelphi auto group but the Flint plant is closed any guesses where they went???  NKG actually have a fairly new asembly plant inwest Virginia that produces o2 sensors and spark plugs.  Champs still made in south Carolina???  

• 2 weeks later...

Resistor plugs are designed to lessen ignition noise picked up by the radio, and do not effect the way the engine runs.  Is that an issue with you and your car?  As in do you listen to the radio  a lot?  Its usually a moot point as hardly any one stocks the non resistor style any more.

Checked around other old car sites, and many agree that the NGK plugs are great. Question: the BR6S is a resistor plug, the B6S is not. For an old car, like my 47 Dodge, would the B6S plug be more appropriate? Ed

Running resistor type plugs should not cause any issues with how your engine runs. I like the NGK's because they run at what appears to be the ideal heat range for my engine. I have tried several different plugs and these were the only ones that show a nice even tan read. All the others showed more of a sooty black with a white or gray hot spot on the electrode.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

can,t say I am unhappy with the autolites, but I ordered a set of these NGK plugs anyway. this brand comes highly recommended for my Yamaha outboard so I will try them in the flathead.also, I am rerurning the points I got from advance. they are such low quality that I will not trust them to run the car properly or for very long. I will try NAPA. capt den

the points from advance were made in mexico, something like bmv or close to that. I think they were missing a spring that showed in the picture of them but was not in the box when I got it. ordered another set to check it out. I thought carquest and advance are the same store now.i got and installed the ngk plugs. capt den

I'm thinking of changing the spark plugs on my 47 Dodge. After looking over previous threads on this subject, the consensus seems to favor the Autolite 306. What do you people think? And what about the cold and hot plugs? Should I make a decision on that? I drive mostly in the warm weather, (spring, summer, fall), but I do take the car out during winter occassionaly, if there's no snow. Ed

Since you asked and there is nothing wrong with Autolite 306 or NGK or Champion plugs,  but if you want the best plugs,  then in our engines

we use Bosch Platinum 4214 plugs.  With most heads you will need to put extra washers but if you want the best in my opinion, then this

is what we use.  I will attach the latest engine George Asche put together for a member of the forum, and you can see that is what is in it.

Since this will no question spark some to jump up and down..  And for oil, once the engine is broken in, and by that I would define that

as a fresh rebuild, once it stops using oil, it is broken in... then we change over to full synthetic oil.   George uses Amsoil, with the heavier weight

racing oil in the heat of summer.  I use the exact same grades but north of the 49th Amsoil isn't a common oil, and we use Castrol full synthetic.

I have at least 2 flathead mopars with more than 100,000 miles on them using full synthetic oil and I think George has more than that with 80-150,000+ miles on them with full synthetic.

Back to plugs, what we have noticed is that with gasoline with ethanol in it, as the % of  ethanol rises so does the operation of the engine

and the heat range of the plugs (not the outside weather  temperature) can effect the operation of the engine.  Don't laugh but our advise is  

avoid ethanol fuel additives if at all possible !

Tim

post-5630-0-62301200-1448775786_thumb.jpg

post-5630-0-08685600-1448775876_thumb.jpg

post-5630-0-45829100-1448775994_thumb.jpg

post-5630-0-74215600-1448776035_thumb.jpg

post-5630-0-00462300-1448776063_thumb.jpg

post-5630-0-89019700-1448776096_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

OK i get the plugs and the oil, but what's up with the Wasabi Peas?  Do they go in the gas tank or the oil?

lol... shhhhhhhhh   those are the top secret ingredient for high performance .......  mopar operators !   lol

now the truth is that George's son Rob snacks on them, and they make good conversation pieces, and storage of nuts, bolts, bits and pieces.  But well done,

clearly you do have good "eagle eyes" there Greg.  Maybe instead of where is Waldo we could do a - "what can you spot in George Asche's garage" lol..  let the games begin !

post-5630-0-43621200-1448809759_thumb.jpg

• Like 1