49 Dodge Business Man Coupe D29 back glass.

b17goinmyway

Hi my brother has a 49 Dodge businessman coupe.  He believes it to be a D29 model.  Unfortunitly the back glass was shattered during a recent transport of the vehicle.  He has been told that the backglass on the 49 Dodge Business Coupe is specific to that model year and model only.  Would like to know if this is correct.  We think we have located another Dodge Business Coupe but the owner states that it is a D24 model and looking at the pictures he sent of the rear glass it does appear to be slightly larger.  The glass surround molding or rubber molding looks different.   I have attached two photos showing my brothers back glass and then the vehicle in question and its back glass.  Hopefully the photos will post for your review.  The main questions which models and vehicle years will work for a replacment back glass on the 49 Dodge Business Coupe.  I understand that only the business man couple back glass will work and not the other models like the 2 door sedans or coupes with the rear seats.  Thanks for looking.  Dan 

post-8645-0-14639800-1446762094_thumb.jpg

post-8645-0-39720500-1446762213_thumb.jpg

OK starting to make some sense now.  Looks like my brothers car would be a 49 D29 model.  Now I just need to ID the year of the business coupe in the salvage yard. But I would say that it has to be a 49 to 52 model.  The question now would be if the back glass is interchangeable between the 49 to 52 business coupes or if year specific only.  Thanks for all of the replys so far. 

1946-48 Chrysler, Dodge and DeSoto 3 passenger business coupe rear glass is the same part # among all three car lines.

All three use the same glass. 3 passenger coupe ONLY.

Club coupe cars use dfifferent glass... no interchange with the 3 passenger coupes.

• Like 1

Looking at the Hollander interchange and it looks like only the glass from another D29 (1949) will fit. 1950  (D33) is not the same.

thanks for the Hollander lookup.  I believe this would confirm what my brother had been told by one of the salvage yards in his area.  The Coupe I found in a salvage yard is most likey a 50 to 52.  I did not actually look at the coupe in the salvage yard so did not confirm the year.  The yard owner thought it was a 49 but when comparing the two photos it does not look to be exact.  It might be worth the effort to see if the 50 model is actually larger and then possible to have cut down by a glass company but in the end maybe better to continue the search.  Again thanks for the look up. 

Neither of those cars are d-24's

this is a d24 business coupe

1947Dodge-side2.jpg

Thanks for the post Frank,  I did not undstand the Model number to year relationship as I had thought that the D24 and D29 were all the same body style.  Can plainly see the difference.  I will not tell my brother but I like the body style on your D24 better.  Yours is fantastic. 

Looking at the Hollander interchange and it looks like only the glass from another D29 (1949) will fit. 1950  (D33) is not the same.

Hi,  could I trouble you to check Hollander once more to see if a 49 Plymouth Business Coupe might interchange.  Assuming that Plymouth made the same model in 49.  thanks Dan

Plymouth is not the same. According to Hollanger nothing else will fit.

OK thanks for the extra look up.  That will close that option down.  It is nice to have one of the Hollander Parts exchange books.  Last time I seen several for the old 40s 50s and 60s vehicle come up you would have thought you were bidding on a brick of gold.