1949 Dodge Bumper Jack

Branded

Thanks, giveS me an idea of what I'm looking for. Done a search but couldn't find any pictures anyplace.

Edited by Branded

Yea, I can see that now.  I just posted the first one that came up.  It is clearly a "universal" jack.  

If you do a search on ebay there's a bunch of them out there.  But, can't say any of them are for your specific application.  

This is the correct jack for my Canadian 1951 Dodge D39 Business Coupe. Same car as a Plymouth but with Dodge trim. Jack is likely the same as a '49 would have. Mounting hardware for the spare tire is also shown. Hope it helps.

4850274e-240f-4556-8993-01912b193e86_zps

DSCN9967_zpsf6740fcf.jpg

DSCN9968_zps2ea797c8.jpg

DSCN9965_zpsab93b278.jpg

wouldn't it have been easier to open the trunk and take the picture rather than cutting a hole through the car..... :P

the bumper jack I can see someone wanting it for a static display as an accessory/tool for the car..hopefully one will not use it to change a flat..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

This looks like something that might work. Thanks for the picture, give me and idea of what I'm searching for.

Dave

This is the correct jack for my Canadian 1951 Dodge D39 Business Coupe. Same car as a Plymouth but with Dodge trim. Jack is likely the same as a '49 would have. Mounting hardware for the spare tire is also shown. Hope it helps.

4850274e-240f-4556-8993-01912b193e86_zps

DSCN9967_zpsf6740fcf.jpg

DSCN9968_zps2ea797c8.jpg

DSCN9965_zpsab93b278.jpg

"Wildcat auto wrecking" might have it, post-6005-0-42866900-1446399192_thumb.jpg

I would have looked last time I was out there if I knew what I was look for :)

I don't know what the Wayfarer jack looked like........It might be different from a 46-48 Plymouth bumper which has a thin bottom edge.  The bottom of the 49 Dodge

bumper appears wider.....kind of like turned under.  You would need a hook deep enough to get a safe grip on that edge.   Just my observation

I had a 50 Wayfarer convertible many years ago.....but do not recall if it even had a jack. 

wouldn't it have been easier to open the trunk and take the picture rather than cutting a hole through the car..... :P

the bumper jack I can see someone wanting it for a static display as an accessory/tool for the car..hopefully one will not use it to change a flat..

It might be okay for changing a flat. . . After the wheel and tire assembly is off the car (use a good axle jack for that operation) place the wheel under the bumper and place the bumper jack on the tire. Attempt to jack the car up and there is a good chance the bead will break on the tire and you can then change the tube/tire to fix the flat.

I have never used a jack to break down a tire though it is a very proven and often recommended method.  I have broke a many larger tires down using the hydraulic lift and its arms properly positioned, still effective an small tires also that do not fit my changer..  Still a lot of work...fortunately I have a very antiquated but effective tire changer..here is Chris Bamford making tire repairs at my house on his infamous US trek..

post-19-0-18709100-1446473575_thumb.jpg

post-19-0-24477200-1446473613_thumb.jpg

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

• 1 year later...

here is the jack from my 1949 plymouth 3 window business coupe the base has a cavity that the jack stands in the end of the jack is like a broom handle allowing it to pivet around in the divot

this jack comes from car number 2332 off the production line in 1949 out of 13715 total business coupes produced that year at the detroit plant the bolt and circle disk hold the spare tire and jack in place on the passanger side 

20170713_085510.jpg

Edited by hempster

can you imagine a bumper jack along side a busy interstate with high speed semis passing by....the very height one has to reach to remove a rear tire makes the peg leg approach very unsafe in my book....I recommend using the stock bumper jack as a static display while hiding a nice safe trolley jack in a vintage suitcase along with a couple nice wheel chocks.  These jacks are very low cost and highly effective with their stable base and the support pocket provided...

• Like 1

My compact jack hides behind the spare, snuggled up to a block of wood I added.  (That's the interior of my DeSoto Suburban with the Bakelite fender llners.)

596b8170bbf64_jack2015(3).JPG.36062857fd55c6178475bb6a707ca648.JPG

I made up instructions for using the jack with blocks, to raise the corners of the car.  (The blocks hide under the wood floor in a terrycloth bag.)

596b82209db3d_jack200609002.jpg.029214d6c09c30f8e67ad455b6e531d6.jpg

596b822ea9f4f_jack200609003.jpg.4c781af02e00f50c9efd1f6cb7b02bf7.jpg

Donald, I have a similar setup in my 48 Ply bz cp....the scissors jack is also a very good alternative to the bumper jack in absence of a trolley jack.  I intend to keep good tires on the car and hopefully never have to remove mine from the mount position behind the spare.  I do like your hydraulic scissors....mine is a heavy later model Mopar screw scissors.  Think Ram 1500.