Suburban, 53 Plymouth

pflaming

That was not an oil can dent unless someone threw an oil can at the fender and the dent is the result. That should have all come out without any heat. Run a file lightly across the dented area to show you what's high and what's low.

• Like 1

pflaming, on 23 Nov 2015 - 7:49 PM, said:pflaming, on 23 Nov 2015 - 7:49 PM, said:

PA, yesterday I received an invitation to Jalopy Journal! Maybe my reputation is preceding me!

Note previous post, it's more important.

could we be so blessed...

for the record, and to maybe tweak your memory a bit...I post the following....

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by pflaming, Dec 13, 2012.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Einstein once said, if it's in print, no need to remember the item, just remember where to find it.

Back to my 53. I get pushed a bit, and rightly so, about my interest in patina and my evolving choices. I once thought one had to be a good mechanic and body man to restore an old vehicle. Well to "restore" maybe so, but to fix and enjoy not so. Once I realized that the only non-forgivable items were the safety items, then paint, shine, dent less, etc went on the shelf.

Also when I realized that with patience parts were available at doable prices and at times free, then this hobby is workable for anyone who is willing to get the books required and learn.

I am fixing this 53 suburban with the above philosophy to show a newbe what can be accomplished by reclaiming and refreshing parts, and keeping the original paint which is somewhat different than a patina finish. So disagree if you wish but here we go.

Yesterday I collected all the items required to assemble the doghouse. Now I can refresh each part then assemble. I think I can use a 54 center piece in a 53 grill so that is personalization # 1.

Post below, MY HEAD IS NOT IN THE SAND! The service manual is by my side and my I Pad is charged and ready. The end result, as stated often, is MY decision. Ironically the biggest deterrent to a new hobbyist is a pro, which is why B students often make better teachers than A students.

Edited by pflaming

I'm learning how to remove a dent with shrinking hammers and a Dolly. I believe I'm about 85% to smooth! yet not bad for several hours work. Suggestion always welcome.

Edited by pflaming

Would you kindly post a pic of the "shrinking hammer" with the offending dent, for scale of both?  Tx

Einstein once said, if it's in print, no need to remember the item, just remember where to find it.

Also when I realized that with patience parts were available at doable prices and at times free, then this hobby is workable for anyone who is willing to get the books required and learn.

Post below, MY HEAD IS NOT IN THE SAND! The service manual is by my side and my I Pad is charged and ready. The end result, as stated often, is MY decision. Ironically the biggest deterrent to a new hobbyist is a pro, which is why B students often make better teachers than A students.

............... what a sweet collection of profound statements!!!!  We'd all do well to embrace or, at least, respect them.  You ARE a teacher.

These are my tools. I lost the handles in the fire. I didn't realize that the head with the Diamond pattern is an anti shrink hammer and I don't really know how to use that. I have also learned to move the metal, to pound it too much and too hard makes it brittle. I think the repair shown has some of that, maybe a lot. And so we learn.

PP,

Glad to to see you do have an assortment of body tools.

Several of the pics made me think you used a shotgun as a shrinking tool--or did you??

Did you know that Harbor Freight sells a small set of various body hammers and body working dollies for  $20-30, handles included.??

Does a I pad play U-tube body straightening videos?

May save some hours or days.

Have fun,

DJ

I pulled the front bumper off the loft to steam clean on Monday. What do the numbers, etc., mean? Ret possiby retired. Is it legal to leave these on and buy a Pop Eye sailor cap and corn cob pipe! Hank, Ed, Jeff, and Des Moines Andy will have to google Pop Eye.

I pulled the front bumper off the loft to steam clean on Monday. What do the numbers, etc., mean? Ret possiby retired. Is it legal to leave these on and buy a Pop Eye sailor cap and corn cob pipe! Hank, Ed, Jeff, and Des Moines Andy will have to google Pop Eye.

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

I can't speak for the other guys but I love cartoons and know very well who Popeye is!

Paul;

Back in the day I had a contract with FISC (Fleet and Industrial Supply Center). I think that Mare Island sticker has been superceeded so many times no one would get miffed if you left it on. It definitely isn't going to get you in anywhere.

The Navy is infamous for keeping old equipment in service. When I was working at Pt. Loma in the mid 90's there were lot's of old vehicles still being used. My favorites were the old fleet oilers. They made the African Queen look like a bristol yacht. Some of them were built in the early 30's and still saw regular service.

Jeff

pflaming, on 28 Nov 2015 - 9:49 PM, said:

Jeff, so I thought or the car would not have left the base with it on. Now it appeals to me to keep on as a, here it comes, patina /

historical item.

Ok...one more time..are you going to do it right or mess it up like the truck..you flip and flop back and forth worse than any fish out of water or chicken with its head cut off I have ever seen....if you subscribe to PATINA..then would not the dents and dings be a progressive story of its will to survive?....somehow I see it only as  "PP does what is cheapest and easiest to get by with"....I cannot see how any can take your posts seriously anymore...what is real and what is PP'ism..

I would. Why not? It was probably used as a personnel shuttle at some point. Mare Island was a busy place back in those days. :) If only it could speak I'd bet it would have all sorts of good stories. I would think if you searched hard you might find some old photos with these vehicles in that service. Then again it may have been on as a gate pass on a civilian owned vehicle. Either way it is historic and deserves to be preserved. A lot of the military history and sites in California are starting to fade away. The old MCAS El Toro is just a 5 minute drive from my house. It is being made into a park and commercial / residential development. Most people living here now don't know anything about it.

When I first got my truck I found a few clues like mil-spec primer on the frame which had me thinking that it may of seen service at some point. I never found any concrete proof though and since it was a Detroit built truck and had a fluid drive and deluxe cab I think it is doubtful. Had I found more I probably would have a military service type paint job now. How cool would that be if it actually had seen service?

Jeff

When I was in the ARMY there was only one paint color known as OD or olive drab. However there were apparently many shades of OD. No 2 paint cans were the same shade. Combat zone paint jobs were done with a paint brush or a spray gun but nothing was masked off. A film of grease was used to cover the lettering when a vehicle was painted and once painted a rag was used to remove the grease covering the lettering. Most vehicles received such a paint job every time a high ranking officer came to inspect a unit. These paint job's covered a multitude of sins.

Jeff, so I thought or the car would not have left the base with it on. Now it appeals to me to keep on as a, here it comes, patina /

historical item.

pflaming, I would definitely leave it on.  That is a part of your cars history and legacy!

• Like 1

Did anyone else notice the state of the bumper? It needs to be tanked and either painted or rechromed. I do not see the point of putting it back on the car in the state it is in. If you are building a rat rod it might be OK but Paul plans on selling this car to a surfer according to a previous post. If he wants to get any kind of money the car needs to be semi-respectable. If not, leave everything alone, including dents, and just get it roadworthy. Patina has its place but at some point it is not patina, it is deteriorated junk.

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 2