Suburban, 53 Plymouth

pflaming

rolling paint is not for the faint of heart...it is 10 times the work compared to a cheap 30.00 HF paint gun and cheap oil base paint and solvent.  The lower price paint can be made to spray very well if you use the right products when spraying...but again..you get back what you invest..

I have studied the roller method and conclude for me that that is much easier said than done. Graybeard did that to his truck, but disassembled as much as he could, took those items in his basement to roll on the paint. I'm not so concerned about the hood and fenders, but to shoot downward on that top seems to me to require a very different skill.

So got some prep work to do first. I will keep the original paint on the body. I just like the distressed look.

I forgot about this 54 doghouse. By swapping out some critical inner frame parts I loosely assembled it and will use it instead of the '53. From the 53 I can also use the photo buckets, hood latch, and radiator so I'm advancing. There are only two minor dents in the total unit. Now how will tired yellow patina work with the gray? Got time to think that out.

post-34-0-31725200-1447289821_thumb.jpgpost-34-0-10898200-1447289845_thumb.jpg

Personally, I have always preferred the '53 front end to the '54. Way nicer hood ornament, hood medallion, signal lights, and grille. I would recommend sticking with the '53 and then you don't have to worry about the colour clash.......unless you paint the whole car which I would recommend anyway. However, your car and do with it what you will.

Sorry to any '54 owners out there. I like the '54 Plymouth but just prefer the '53. I also happen to own one.

IMG_0190_zpscxwega0e.jpg

• Like 1

Desotodav, on 02 Nov 2015 - 04:13 AM, said:Desotodav, on 02 Nov 2015 - 04:13 AM, said:

Come on PP, stop torturing us and just paint it !!! ...

its the poor vehicles that are suffering... don't know why he just doesn't crash them and get it over with...put the poor things out of their misery..I would not be surprised to learn the truck set the fire just to try to end it all...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

53 vs 54 hood ornaments. Just discovered that the hood ornaments do not interchange. The stylized '54 is 3/4 inch shorter and the hood's curvatures are slightly different. Such subtle changes.

Before becoming closely involved with Plymouths I did not note that the hood ornaments were a ship. I have two, one broken.the other fire damaged. See how long it takes you to see the modification in the one I painted. I may take all the sails off to simulate a surf board, then mount a Cindy Crawford bubble head on the board!!

So I took off the top, now I have a surf board. Since my goal is to sell it at Pismo Dunes to a surfer, I will display the car with a rack and surf board. Will then paint the ornament and the board the same color.

Edited by pflaming

Here is the 1952 Plymouth hood ornament.. different than the 1953 Plymouth.

Also shown are the  1951,  1953 and 54 Plymouth hood ornaments.

post-302-0-21679900-1448240689_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-14338000-1448241345_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-81668700-1448241378_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-65182800-1448241427_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

The numbers are correct but neither of the two hood ornaments you show in post #35 is from a '54 Plymouth. They are not like the one in the '54 Plymouth advertisement you posted and not like the '54 hood ornament posted by Dodgeb4ya. If one of the hood ornaments you show came from a '54 hood, it is the wrong one from a different year. 

I cut the top off to make a surf board. It's not important to me to name what year, yet need to be accurate. I put the two I have on the 53 hood. While the holes do not work, the hoods curvatures are alike. The ornaments attach in different positions from the leading lip of the hood.

Edited by pflaming

Except the 52 looks more like 42 and then there's no 52 and the 1950 in the middle is really 51

Edited by Young Ed

yes Reg...and it was good of you to post the pic...there are a few that are correct...some that are not....it  is not only the Plymouth pages that have errors either with this site..but for the most part..still a chance to see what company is linked to the basic shape..seems it is a lot easier to submit a page to the internet than to get a correction made after the fact..

and then you have PP cutting ornaments without say what is what.....will it ever end...lol

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Enough on ornaments. Today I'm learning how to repair an oil can dent with heat. I have raised that 90%, now I think I need to use a flat ting hammer and an anvil. It is so much easier to work a fender that is removed. Suggestions always welcome!

After some heat.