Suburban, 53 Plymouth

pflaming

4 hours ago, pflaming said:

Edit: I just steamed cleaned four 15" Plymouth rims, little things that need attention. Three of them are 4 1/2 at the bead and one is 5 1/4. Darn, can't have that. Should I look for another 4 1/2" or a matching 51/4 ". for the rear set?

Dang, sorry to hear about your belly button. Who knew they could do that?

As for the rims, look for both and go with whichever one you find first.

I think I would go with the wider one for the rear.

4 hours ago, pflaming said:

Edit: I just steamed cleaned four 15" Plymouth rims, little things that need attention. Three of them are 4 1/2 at the bead and one is 5 1/4. Darn, can't have that. Should I look for another 4 1/2" or a matching 51/4 ". for the rear set?

do the math and weigh your wallet....find one at 4.5 width or buy three at 5 1/4........if math is not a strong suit  and  money is not the problems...look to get some good rims at 6.0/7.0 and run some good easy to obtain modern rubber on that unit with no worries scurrying in the back of your brain like cock roaches at a feeding frenzy...spare could be anything but rotation of your tires in use will not be limited...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

be sure and look for cracks, my truck has one wheel with 2 large cracks starting from the center hole and past the bolt pattern in length.

These suburbans are nice looking cars, want to watch your thread and see it get back on the road. I was looking for how you took care of the floors, will look again but did not see it the first time through.

I have my hands full with my truck, if things work out right, might pick up one for the wife to drive.

My uncle is wanting to sell this one, but is in no hurry. The floors are really bad in this one, have to lift up on the doors to get them open, going to be a big project and probably over my head.

uncle 048.jpg

Paul has 2 ? for parts that are most likely available for sale!;)

PM???

DJ

Best to you Paul with your latest health setback!  :)

DJ

• 4 months later...

Its been a while since I have posted so an update is in order. I did a complete valve job on the engine and started it. Ran nicely but compression check revealed one cylinder has no compression. Pulled the head, valves all OK so readjusted them and still no change so, will turn it over and pull that cylinder which hate to do. I may just put in all new inserts while I'm at it. The electrical is done, new floor panels are cut and fit ready to be welded in, front suspension totally gone through, and tires and rims ready to go.

As you know, this build is to sell and my truck goes to my daughter in Indiana, so then I will be without a classic. So today I bought a 1939 Chrysler Royal 4 door. It  has only two noticeable dents, the key is in the ignition, the rear seat covers are still usable, the paint is hiding under surface rust. It has sat for years and came from a local estate.  So that will be my winter project and my final build. It may have ran when it was parked, the key is in the ignition so it was possibly also a driver. So I'm going to attempt to return it to the road with as little redo work as possible, thus a true survivor. I'll clean the exterior and spend my money on the interior, electrical wiring, brakeswindows, and tires. 

I'm scheduled for one knee replacement the 18th of April. Today I started taking pain killers, they do help.  Here is the car.

Edited by pflaming
Added photos.

• 2 months later...
14 minutes ago, Prusakowski said:

Thanks to several threads on the forum I got my '53 1.5 ton started today.  The distributor was out 180 degrees - - I got it as a non-running truck, so how the distributor got out of time is a mystery.  

you got it probably because the previous owner could not be convinced while doing maintenance he could get it out 180 and dies of old age or goes crazy and is ultimately committed trying to start it in this fashion.

I believe you are correct.  I did the ATF and Diesel piston soak routine for a few weeks prior to starting just to make sure everything was capable of breaking free if stuck.  Ran like a top once the problem was solved.  Didn't have any mosquitoes around for about ten minutes after starting - - pretty thick fog but after a few minutes more no more smoke.  

" . . . out of curiosity I pulled the drivers side front wheel drum this afternoon. The shoes are like new, the drum's inner surfece is smooth, and the cylinders are dry. Interesting. This car must have been in decent shape when it was parked."

I reposted this as a reminder to myself Brakes will be an issue when I return.  I'm in Maine til the 20th. Some pics on the current status.

IMG_8432.JPG

• Like 1

the IR thermometers are an excellent tool for troubleshooting cooling issues. Check the temp at the radiator inlet versus the outlet, you should see a difference of around 30-40 degrees. You can also use it to verify your thermostat is working by checking the temp of the inlet tube or thermostat housing versus the temp of the head.

note to me when I get home. 

Truck in maineMaine 

IMG_9139.JPG

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

well, paint and body shop advertising is out of the question...

I'm trying to figure out how it's advertising at all. It appears to be in the woods where no one can see it!

Ahaha. I'm guessing the person taking the photo is standing on the road. You see a lot of that out here. Every brewery around here seems to have an old truck like that for advertising.