Engine Serial Number

Conn47D24

Has anyone seen this before ?

My 47 Club Coupe Engine was replaced with a crated rebuilt mid-1970's.  Not my original engine.

So , photos here show the block.    I can not make out what the full number is.  Sure looks like it was stamped over???

Was that a practice of rebuilding shops?

It's a 23" head so 218-230 CI 

I'd really like to know what I have here so I get correct parts on my re-build.

Any thoughts?

Clay

post-5542-0-27141300-1446154497_thumb.jpg

post-5542-0-60002200-1446154510_thumb.jpg

post-5542-0-80662700-1446154525_thumb.jpg

hard to say....but if it is any consolation to you..the star at the end and left of that star 6 digits tot he left is the engine sequence #..the others will be the original series numbers and one is an overstamp

If I wee a guessing man the original number is a P20 series engine...(1950) and that screams 218 unless modified...

or it could be a P26 which makes it a 56 and a 230.  Pull the plug from the head over number 6 cylinder, stick in a long stiff wire, turn the engine over by hand 4 3/8 = 218, 4 5/8 = 230.  But being a rebuild you will need to measure the rod and main journals, and check out the piston tops to see if they are stamped as oversized.

Many licensing authorities used the engine number for the vehicles legal identification number. (before standardized VIN's)  If when the engine was swapped, the Id number became void on the tiltle. So some attempt was made to match the parts to the document.  Chrysler sold unstamped blocks to a lot of re builders, they were supposed toput their own number on when the engine was assembled.  So it could have been your engine was marked by a re builder, then installed in a P 20 or P 26 model car, then removed again and installed in your car.  There could be any number of permutations of this theme, so the history of your engine may never be correctly deduced. As easy and as common as engine swaps were inthese cars in the day, it is a wonder than any of us may have the original engine in a car with over 50k miles on it.

• Like 1

He Greg G:

I have a 1939 Desoto S-6 model and I still have the original engine in my car and it starts the S6 code. I have also verofoied that I have th eoriginal engine because Chrysler Historical has sent me the build sheets for my car. My car now has a total of around 96K on the odometer and about 10-15 after the rebuild.  So some cars have lasted the test of time.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

I think the casting date is on the block, possibly just below the distributor.  Also, put a piece of paper over the engine code and use the side of a crayon to take a rubbing.  You might be able to read it better that way.

Edited by jcmiller
  • Like 1

Yes Zen , this engine certainly could have slept around! :-)

Still working on cleaning up that number and see if I can get a clearer look.

Cleaned and blasted the head today.  There is a spot that was grinded and new numbers stamps in.

Also I found a small spot on the block with a series of numbers stamped in .  Right along the top edge, much smaller than the engine number area.  none of the numbers match.

What parts am I going to have trouble matching since I don't know what it is? 

The pistons are .60 and the block was sleaved.

Looks like we can hone it and stay the same size.

One step at a time.

Thanks !

Clay

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding your numbers. I was going through the paper work that came with my d24 purchased two years ago and came across a spec sheet that the engine came from National engine rebuilders, don't recall state do remember these guys in the 80s. I got real excited thinking my engine might be a rebuilt but cant find a receipt or date this might have been done. The specific sequence num or serial num if you will on paperwork doesn't match any I have found on my block though.So a little let down but still hoping. The num on block does match title as does num although faint stamped in rear driver frame rail go figure.P.S did I mention this engine runs as new or low mileage still trying to find more clues to this car. It has led a very colorful past life and left a interesting history trail.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have 9 of these engines  5 Plymouth 4 Dodge  some in the cars some out years range from 46 to 54  , had a few more but sold a couple over the years . on  8 of these the date code stamped below the Dist.  indicate  the correct year the engine was built but on one it does not ,  the date code on the block is 4-16-51 the "P" head is stamped 4-11-51 but the engine is stamped P15 - 534159 -  ?  looks like someone may have swapped the engine out then ground off the old #`s and re- stamped the #`s from the original ??

• Like 1