Inherited B3D

Hey guys. How goes it?

I just recently inherited my Pop's B3D. He didn't have it very and didn't drive it too much but the guy he bought it from drove it everyday.

The starter died on it a couple years ago and my dad got it rebuilt but didn't get it back together and running do to illness. He's passed away a month ago and Id like to get it back up and running  for him and do what he planned with it. 

The truck is a big rusted farm truck with a 9 foot bed and a house paint brush job. its way past a full restoration and he new it. His plans were to keep it mostly that way but fix the paint a little put a farm sign on the doors, hay bales and feed sacks in the bed, throw on some over-alls and cruise the shows in it.

Over the 2 years it sat here's where i'm at now:

make sure the motor's still free

new battery and install the starter and make sure it cranks

oil change

rebuild carb- think its the wrong one but it worked before

dump and clean fuel tank and new hoses and maybe electric fuel pump

Tune up and new belts and hoses.

Flush radiator and new coolant

New water dist. tube (not looking forward to that)

absolutely no brakes- i'll rebuild all wheel cylinders and master cylinder

Hood? Hinges are gone and there some junk cabinet hinges on it and there shot too. I gotta do better than that

Carb question. According to the manual It should have a Stromberg but it has a carter b&b and I have a spare in a parts box. Any advantage to going back to the stromberg?

Thoughts? Any thing I'm missing?

I'll get some pics up when i can.

Welcome!  Todd really welcomed you!  I think he had a cocktail in hand!  Looks like you are in TX, so shipping  a hood would be spendy, but there are several around.

Todd, you still have a hood from me laying around?  This summer I'll swing out and get everything else since i have space now.

Thanks for the welcome. I'll rebuild the carb then just gotta get the linkages. Looks like it's missing a couple. For the hood might just make the side removable rather than hinged. Should be easy enough. Unless there's some other hack you guys have figured out.

Me Newbie 2. Can't help ya ----- BUT ----- I need Two 1950 to 1954 377 Combo engines. I'm hoping someone will see this and reply.

Charlie

Welcome!  Todd really welcomed you!  I think he had a cocktail in hand!  Looks like you are in TX, so shipping  a hood would be spendy, but there are several around.

Todd, you still have a hood from me laying around?  This summer I'll swing out and get everything else since i have space now.

I sent my post from my cell phone, the first one said it got denied so I then sent the second and then realized I forgot to welcome him.  No cocktails are aftermath of the night before involved.  

The B&B carbs were plentiful on the 1/2 tons with the 218, as the Strombergs were standard on the 1-tons with the 230.  The Stromberg setup has the fuel filter bowl that is outboard of the manifold heating, where as the B&B setup has the fuel filter bowl over the manifold heating.  My '48 1/2 ton has a 230 in it with the B&B, and it seems to have better throttle response than the Stromberg in my '49 1-ton with its 230.  I'm almost certain this is due to the vacuum advance in the 1/2 ton distributor; the 1-ton distributor only has a mechanical advance.  My experience is that the B&B is more prone to fouling than the Stromberg...this has manifested each time I've had the trucks sit for an extended period, as the Stromberg seems to free up immediately whereas the B&B sputters for awhile before the fresh gas cleans out the passages.  So either works as long as they are fairly clean & set properly :cool:

Me Newbie 2. Can't help ya ----- BUT ----- I need Two 1950 to 1954 377 Combo engines. I'm hoping someone will see this and reply.

Charlie

Good luck.

Whats a  377 combo engine?

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

The B&B carbs were plentiful on the 1/2 tons with the 218, as the Strombergs were standard on the 1-tons with the 230.  The Stromberg setup has the fuel filter bowl that is outboard of the manifold heating, where as the B&B setup has the fuel filter bowl over the manifold heating.  My '48 1/2 ton has a 230 in it with the B&B, and it seems to have better throttle response than the Stromberg in my '49 1-ton with its 230.  I'm almost certain this is due to the vacuum advance in the 1/2 ton distributor; the 1-ton distributor only has a mechanical advance.  My experience is that the B&B is more prone to fouling than the Stromberg...this has manifested each time I've had the trucks sit for an extended period, as the Stromberg seems to free up immediately whereas the B&B sputters for awhile before the fresh gas cleans out the passages.  So either works as long as they are fairly clean & set properly :cool:

I guess either would be fine for this truck. If theres any power or throttle response difference it won't matter with this truck and the gearing. Between the low range tranny and rear gear top speed is 45. Gears like that any power will move it.

Edited by Bigphillip79