My 52 is about roadworthy

mopar_earl

Why not change the rear axle and differential? What is the current ratio?

Either would work. Currently I'm not changing anything until I drive it more. I'd probably go with an explorer rear axle with disc brakes with 3.55 or 3.73.

Currently I have 3.90 gears and 1:00 to 1:00 on 4th gear.

Earl

• 3 weeks later...

Doing some road testing. Everything is doing well. Do have a coolant leak at the one of the water pump cover bolts. Unfortunately it's the lower right one which I can't pull to seal. I need to pull the water pump off to seal it.

Also the engine surges/cuts out at cruise. Fine at idle and when you get on it. Has power, not sure yet if its carb or ignition related. I'm not a gasoline guy, so carbs are virgin to me as well as point ignition.

Earl

post-7952-0-92525400-1448463858_thumb.jpg

post-7952-0-01603100-1448464086_thumb.jpg

post-7952-0-07519000-1448464140_thumb.jpg

The 52 is on the road and back in Pennsylvania. Had to pull trans back out as it wasn't upshifting. Had to "retime" the blocker ring, sleeve and third and direct gear to get it to shift. No idea why but we got it to shift by just retiming the components. We had it apart to clean and reseal it and apparently it didn't like how we timed it the first time.

Car rides, drives, and brakes excellent. Had her up to 65 a few times. Definitely much noiser than modern vehicles. Lol

The ECI disc brakes and dual master upgrades were well worth it. The car stops like a modern car and straight. Very pleased how the car performs. Just too bad they didn't put a 5th OD gear in the Gyromatic/M6 trans lol

Earl

They did make a OD GyroMatic trans. Very rare...I've seen two.

post-302-0-51021800-1448466811_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

They did make a OD GyroMatic trans. Very rare...I've seen two.

Yeah I saw a pic of one on the net. Would be sweet to come across one. A Gyromatic with od would be awesome in my car. If you see anymore, please let me know where and all that so I could try to purchase one.

Earl

How is the ECI brake kit working?  I assume it's dual master without a power booster and was wondering how the pedal effort was.  I plan to go to disc brakes on the front and would prefer to not have to add a power booster if the mnual brakes stop the car well and don't require too much effort.

• Like 1

How is the ECI brake kit working? I assume it's dual master without a power booster and was wondering how the pedal effort was. I plan to go to disc brakes on the front and would prefer to not have to add a power booster if the mnual brakes stop the car well and don't require too much effort.

Yes it's a unpowered dual master. Impressed with both kits and how they perform. Like any manual hydraulic brake system, it will be firm, not soft like power brakes. I actually prefer manual brakes over power. There is less pedal travel and its always firm compared to power brakes.

On my car, it brakes excellent. Straight and true. It doesn't nose dive, thanks to the metering valve in the combo valve. I still have the original rear axle and rear brakes. Now I did adjust the rear brakes with the proper Ammco 1750 tool.

I added a GM combination valve to my system to get the metering valve and rear proportioning valve. Eci use to sell them but they stopped as they couldn't source any that weren't made in china. I got mine (made in china) combination valve from Summit. The master they supplied has an internal 10 psi residual valve for the rear. The disc kit includes an external 2 psi residual valve for the front. I so plan to do a write up with pics on both kits being installed. I just haven't had the time to reduce the sizes of the pics and write it up. I also replaced all the brake tubing with nicopp lines, new hoses, new rear wheel cylinders and dot 5 fluid.

Earl

Man the styling engineers had " IT " going on back what a beautiful profile and wheel openings! I could look at cars from 30 40 50 60 all day long I get so tired of late model grocery  getters with their 180 degree half round wheel openings. You cant tell one refrigerator white rental car from another not one body style will be collectable 50 yrs. from now 

• Like 2