Should I start over or continue "The Next Big Thing"

48ply1stcar

Not much,  It started right up.  I did post a video of it starting and I hadn't even timed or tuned the engine.  The video is on my flickr page.  The engine seems to run fine, it just that the car needs a lot of work and we (the car and I) have been spending a lot of quality time in the driveway.

I haven't driven the car much lately.  This spring I retired 1 April and brought my car in to have the shackles replaced.  They said "no thank you" and gave me a tour of my suspension.  Thousands of dollars in body and paint riding on $1.98 suspension.  Last week I replaced the leaf springs and shackles.  Today I start rebuilding the front suspension,  "kingpins, coil springs, and bushings oh my."

Edited by 48ply1stcar
grammer
  • Like 1

On the rear of the rngine block there is a welch plug. Noticed that on your engine blockthe builder used the galvanised welch plugs. Would suggest that he installthe brass plug on the rear to help insure that is will not rust out over time. Do in now since the engine block is out of the car. The others can be done at another time when need but would suggest that you also do it now since the brass will not rust out. Just a suggestion.

rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

6 hours ago, 48ply1stcar said:

Not much,  It start right up.  I did post a video of it starting and I hadn't even timed or tuned the engine.  The video is on my flickr page.  The engine seems to run fine, it just that the car needs a lot of work and we (the car and I) have been spending a lot of quality time in the driveway.

I haven't driven the car much lately.  This spring I retired 1 April and brought my car in to have the shackles replaced.  They said "no thank you" and gave me a tour of my suspension.  Thousands of dollars in body and paint riding on $1.98 suspension.  Last week I replaced the leaf springs and shackles.  Today I start rebuilding the front suspension,  "kingpins, coil springs, and bushings oh my."

With all the work that's been done you can't stop now. The car looks really nice! I like the color. What type of paint, color, etc. did you use? 

2 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

On the rear of the rngine block there is a welch plug. Noticed that on your engine blockthe builder used the galvanised welch plugs. Would suggest that he installthe brass plug on the rear to help insure that is will not rust out over time. Do in now since the engine block is out of the car. The others can be done at another time when need but would suggest that you also do it now since the brass will not rust out. Just a suggestion.

rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

I installed the engine last summer. I'm not sure to what plug you are referring.

31 minutes ago, MackTheFinger said:

Thanks! I have a hard time picking out paint colors for my own stuff. Usually I end up not making a choice and end up with black or white.

When my mother bought the car for me in 1968, it had a new paint job the same color as Don Coatney's car, baby blue and almost had it painted that color again.

11 hours ago, 48ply1stcar said:

we (the car and I) have been spending a lot of quality time in the driveway

I wish I had a garage with space, but the driveway is good too. Neighbors stop by and talk. 

11 hours ago, 48ply1stcar said:

kingpins, coil springs, and bushings oh my.

You sure you aren't in Oz?

1 hour ago, Bobacuda said:

Ok, I'll ask.  What is wrong with sandblasting the block?  If I were to do it, it would only be external, not internal blasting.

It's very hard to ensure it all stays external. I wouldn't do it unless this was a full rebuild and you were tanking the block afterwards. Which I believe cleans it anyways. 

Makes sense to be concerned.  When my truck's engine was still assembled, the machine shop blasted it, then tore it down and tanked everything.  I was afraid there was some reason other than stray sand at the start of the process to be concerned about.  I agree, I would not do it to the engine after the rebuild.