Should I start over or continue "The Next Big Thing"

48ply1stcar

In the last three years I have learned a lot about the differences between the 218 and the 230.  I've learned about static timing, the correct method for the initial timing.  I've got a lot of practice removing and installing a flathead engine all by my self.

So it is with mixed feelings that I share my once pretty non-running engine is now starting a new journey.  I starting all over again, hopefully the right way.

post-1228-0-13186700-1445527372_thumb.jpgpost-1228-0-74181900-1445527392_thumb.jpg

Bored .040, new bearings, pistons, valve job, and best of all I got my crank polished before I stuck it to my check book.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

As many of you know this is my first car from High School, already 20-years-old when I got it in April of 1968.  So after putzing with my third engine for three years I'm getting my car its first and well deserved valve job in the nearly 48-years of ownership.

post-1228-0-70546500-1452133282_thumb.jpg

post-1228-0-38848000-1452133302_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Little farther along.  Honed cylinders, and shaved head.

attachicon.gifIMG_0468.JPG r.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0469.JPG r.jpg

Who's doing the work? And did you shave the head just to make it flat or did you remove some for performance?

• 2 months later...

So boring it out .040 gives you how many cubic inches now ? Beyond my Minnesota math skills..

48ply

And, (a shameless plug follows) may I suggest a conversion to a full flow oil filtration set-up while it's still an easy job. Initial start-up is the most important time to have that feature. Your wallet may not like it but your engine will be grateful!

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

post-1228-0-82293300-1463781348_thumb.jpgIt's home today. 

I'll take my time to make sure everything is ready and sure I'm not re-installing something after I Install the engine.

Bored .0040, all new bearing, gaskets, new pistons, shaved head, polished crank, cleaned oil relief valve, new valve guides, valve job with one new valve.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...