1940 Borg Warner R7 OD

meadowbrook

Hi folks, I know the vast majority of those with OD transmissions have the R10. I have an R7 in my '50 Dodge and I just lost the kickdown operation. The relay clicks and its fuse looks fine but I no longer hear the solenoid in the trans click. I will check to ensure it's not a loose wire, but in case of a burned out solenoid, does anyone know of where I might find a replacement one? Or is there a way to repair one?

Thanks!

is an R7 suppose to downshift while in OD ?  I think I have an R7 in my 39 Chrysler and it's doesn't.  Mine will up shift from 2nd to 3rd if I let up on the gas pedal for a second in OD mode. Then I can manually shift into 3rd OD.....it's like having a 4 speed trans.  Just thinking out loud.

The R7 will kick down by full throttle depression. The solenoid will cause the KD.

• Like 1

It should KD  out of OD by throttle at any speed above approx 25MPH.

• Like 1

Do as above^^^^^

• 6 months later...

i just purchased a R7 that im going to put on my 1948 dodge, im missing the solenoid, and need help on how to operate it, where can i purchase a solenoid? i tried ebay.. no luck  and does the r7 go in to OD by it self? and how? hope some one can help

Don't know if the solenoid for an R-7 is the same as that for an R-10 or not. Try calling Studebaker International ((317) 462-3124). They have new 6V solenoids for the R-10. I have one on my 1940 Dodge and it has been working great since 2011.

Phil

i just purchased a R7 that im going to put on my 1948 dodge, im missing the solenoid, and need help on how to operate it, where can i purchase a solenoid? i tried ebay.. no luck and does the r7 go in to OD by it self? and how? hope some one can help

i just purchased a R7 that im going to put on my 1948 dodge, im missing the solenoid, and need help on how to operate it, where can i purchase a solenoid? i tried ebay.. no luck and does the r7 go in to OD by it self? and how? hope some one can help

Hi. I misspoke, i do have an r7 not an r8.

To your question, the solenoid only works for a downshift from od, if it does not work, the od feature will still engage, and when you drop below 30 or so, it comes off. But if your solenoid is missing. I think you need to cover the hole somehow.

They are hard to come by, I found a nos one for a spare that's boxed for a studebaker, but it's identical to the mopar solenoid. I'll get a part number from the box tonight. There's also a used one on eBay that might also work.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Packard-R-6-overdrive-solenoid-/131789914299?hash=item1eaf4a80bb:g:QJgAAOSw8aNXGpN5

Don't know if the solenoid for an R-7 is the same as that for an R-10 or not. Try calling Studebaker International ((317) 462-3124). They have new 6V solenoids for the R-10. I have one on my 1940 Dodge and it has been working great since 2011.

Phil

It is not at all. At the point the r7 was produced it was done so by Borg Warner under liscence from Chrysler.  When they failed to continue the overdrives after the 1941 model year, it opened up the market for Borg Warner to sell overdrives to other companies. So you are correct the r10 from a Studebaker will work on the mopar. The r10 solenoid will not work on the r7. 

The fact is the solenoid is worth as much or more than the r7 transmission. The guy on ebay has had one for sale for $400 minus the solenoid

and I am sure the he has or someone has previously sold the solenoid separately.

Tim

The MoPar R7B OD Transmission  solenoid # is a Autolite  SSB 4001 .