P10 Interior Parts Questions

Cpt.Fred

I can no longer close my eyes to the fact that my

original interiour is falling apart more and more and i have to start looking for replacements.

Now general upholstery work will have to be done by local shops here in Germany,

but some things will have to be bought in the US.

Can anyone here tell me about availablity and quality of parts like the rubber floor mat covering the foot boards?

Or the rubber grommet that seals the steering column and shift linkage against the fire wall?

Are there any carpets available?

What about headliners?

I have seen some parts like the rubber mat and the grommet at Andy B.'s, but there are no pictures,

so i thought i'd ask here first before i take any chances.

I hope this is OK to ask here, i'm not asking to buy anything specific now,

if it's not OK please remove it to the classifieds.

Thanks,

Fred

you would be best served to let a good trimmer lose in that car..he can sew and install headliner, seat covers, fabricate door panels, kick panels and package tray and sew a carpet that will lay down nicely.  At the same time if there are things like seat padding or spring sthat need some attention again he should be able to effect these repairs on the spot.  Your asking of carpet already tell me you are not 100% on originality.  Am sure there are many nice fabrics in Europe that would be a nice choice for interior.

thanks for the links, casper50!

plymouthy:

like i said, upholstery will have to be done by a professional.

actually i am aiming towards originality when it comes to the interiour.

so i thought i'd ask if there were good reproductions and of what quality they are.

(like rubber floor mats and molded carpets that cannot be done by an upholstery shop)

the interiour of my 2door sedan is very original and i'd love to keep it that way.

if possible.

you mentioned carpet thus my reply ...the listed suppliers are good..be prepared to dig deep and yes a professional trimmer is needed to do this and look super...upholstery work is very involved and costly as a package...good luck..to ensure you get what you want, the suppliers can send swatches of your choices so to aid you in getting the final product just right...

just to avoid misunderstandings, since i'm no native speaker,

but why does me mentioning carpet point away from originality?

the rear floor in my car is covered with carpet and i thought maybe someone reproduces them close to original in shape and material.

were they not original? cause mine sure looks like it would be. just curious.

maybe someone can chime in who already bought one of those reproduction rubber mats,

they are pretty pricey at 300+ dollars so i'd love to have a second opinion before i order one.

i' call those other shops on the list casper made.

thanks!

I can no longer close my eyes to the fact that my

original interiour is falling apart more and more and i have to start looking for replacements.

Now general upholstery work will have to be done by local shops here in Germany,

but some things will have to be bought in the US.

Can anyone here tell me about availablity and quality of parts like the rubber floor mat covering the foot boards?

Or the rubber grommet that seals the steering column and shift linkage against the fire wall?

Are there any carpets available?

What about headliners?

I have seen some parts like the rubber mat and the grommet at Andy B.'s, but there are no pictures,

so i thought i'd ask here first before i take any chances.

I hope this is OK to ask here, i'm not asking to buy anything specific now,

if it's not OK please remove it to the classifieds.

Thanks,

Fred

Fred..sorry..the statement at first did not signify that you were split front and rear with carpet and rubber....on the rubber...just be sure that the new stuff is just that, new...majority of the feedback for those using NOS rubber, it is cracked and in poor health on unrolling for installation. 

just to avoid misunderstandings, since i'm no native speaker,

but why does me mentioning carpet point away from originality?

the rear floor in my car is covered with carpet and i thought maybe someone reproduces them close to original in shape and material.

were they not original? cause mine sure looks like it would be. just curious.

maybe someone can chime in who already bought one of those reproduction rubber mats,

they are pretty pricey at 300+ dollars so i'd love to have a second opinion before i order one.

i' call those other shops on the list casper made.

thanks!

again...it was not made clear in your first that your car was split front and rear carpet/rubber...thus carpet implied to me that you were going complete flooring in said manner...now that you have stated the facts...I see entirely what you wish to have now..

Did anyone mention S M S Fabric Company?  They have lots of old style fabrics.   

It seems that exact reproductions of the front rubber mat and steering post piece are  

hard to come by.   My 19747 Plym P15 had the same arrangement....I bought a new old

stock front mat several years ago......it lasted for a while, then began splitting.  So  have

now replaced with maroon color carpet in front and back.  Probably black carpet would

be a close look to original.   

Hey Fred,

I had my old steering column grommet recovered by Gary Goers.

http://www.garygoers.com/products.html

It took about month or so to get turned around and came out great.  You need to contact him through the Fax machine and he'll give you a call back to set up the deal.  I just purchased the firewall grommet set from Andy B, its got most of the grommets needed with the exception of one.  They send two ovals and two rounds in the kit, but mine needed one oval and three rounds.  So if you want them all, you'll need to buy two kits at $20 each.  I asked and he does not have any non-kitted grommets.  He also has the clutch and brake pedal seals which I picked up.  They can either be cut or you can remove the pedal and slide them on.  I suggest the latter.  The OG owner cut them and they keep coming loose. 

I also go the starter pedal grommet for the firewall, on the outside.  I'm still looking for the rubber cover for the inside of the firewall, let me know if you come across anything.  I may try to come up with something from the hardware store for that.  I tried ordering the seals/gaskets that go around the steering column and to the dash (all inside) but they are out of stock.  I just bought some rubber gasket material from the plumbing section and cut my own. 

Edited by Bmartin

Thanks for the good info everyone!

Bmartin, originally the firewall is covered by a molded piece of cardboardish material

(like on the inside of the a-pillars)with a rubber lip on the bottom and a thick layer of insulation

behind it, i guess horse hair or coconut fibre or whatever they used back then.

maybe you can see it here. the rubber lip is hard as old bread and thus crumbling away, of course...

23472858qc.jpg

If I remember correctly the gas pedal and the brake pedal rubber pads would have been brown.  Steelle rubber makes the slip on brown brake and clutch pedal pads. The Brown gas pedals are hard to find.

You will mostly find that thecar owners are using the aftermarket Black gas pedal and pedal pads.  It really does not matter unless you are going for points judging and specifically only when you are at a Plymouth owners Club national car show becasue they have all the spec that the cars should have.  Most of the general public do not have any knowledge of these cars so you can get away with the black pedals.

Also if you have a driver then do what you want and also the cost is also what determines what you can and want to spend on your car.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Rich, of course you're right about that, but sometimes i'm my own judge here, and if can get brown pedals i'll try hard...

I don't know any other car that has them, reason enough for me to get them :P

Just got off with Andy B and they said the rubber mats were show quality reproductions and available in brown. hmmm.... tempting.

I'm putting together a list here and will contact several other places. Just sent an inquiry to Mr. Goers as well.

Wasn't there also a place that sold those dreaded dash knobs (for a ridiculously high price of course)?

Thanks for the good info everyone!

Bmartin, originally the firewall is covered by a molded piece of cardboardish material

(like on the inside of the a-pillars)with a rubber lip on the bottom and a thick layer of insulation

behind it, i guess horse hair or coconut fibre or whatever they used back then.

maybe you can see it here. the rubber lip is hard as old bread and thus crumbling away, of course...

23472858qc.jpg

Yah, I was referring to that rubber piece on the outside of the firewall cover.  Mine is dried out and split.  Still looking for one of those.

You've got some cool stuff under your dash.  What is that ribbed piece behind the steering wheel?  Speaker or something?  Still don't know what I'm missing from original.  Also, that large rod in the middle of the dash to the firewall, whats that do?  You're heater looks a little snazzier than mine. 

Edited by Bmartin

Yah, I was referring to that rubber piece on the outside of the firewall cover.  Mine is dried out and split.  Still looking for one of those.

You've got some cool stuff under your dash.  What is that ribbed piece behind the steering wheel?  Speaker or something?  Still don't know what I'm missing from original.  Also, that large rod in the middle of the dash to the firewall, whats that do?  You're heater looks a little snazzier than mine. 

For the cowl vent, I believe.

**EDIT** The pic is a little fuzzy, so I may have mistaken the exact rod you're referring to.

**2nd EDIT** Link for parts (pros and cons with Steele), brown pedal pads, etc.:

http://www.steelerubber.com/search?year=1940&make=plymouth&model=deluxe-p10&style=2-door-sedan

Edited by deathbound

Bmartin:

The ribbed thing is a (dealer installed?) radio unit, "Firestone Air Chief". Containes both tubes and speaker.

I kicked it out and installed a Motorola 802 unit from a P15.

That big switch up front left top of the picture is connected to the antenna and the radio, but i don't know what it was about.

The rod in the middle is just a support providing rigidity to the dash. tucked away beside it with the yellowish knob is the

cowl vent lever, like Deathbound said.

The heater / fan unit is called "Tropic Aire" and came with a fany push button control panel:

23481271qp.jpg

Unfortunately the bakelite is broken and crumbles away, so i didn't get it to work again and the whole unit is disconnected

since i do not need a heater here. Maybe i'll try to change that some day, but not now.

Thanks for the link, Deathbound!

Edited by Cpt.Fred

Bmartin:

The ribbed thing is a (dealer installed?) radio unit, "Firestone Air Chief". Containes both tubes and speaker.

I kicked it out and installed a Motorola 802 unit from a P15.

That big switch up front left top of the picture is connected to the antenna and the radio, but i don't know what it was about.

The rod in the middle is just a support providing rigidity to the dash. tucked away beside it with the yellowish knob is the

cowl vent lever, like Deathbound said.

The heater / fan unit is called "Tropic Aire" and came with a fany push button control panel:

23481271qp.jpg

Unfortunately the bakelite is broken and crumbles away, so i didn't get it to work again and the whole unit is disconnected

since i do not need a heater here. Maybe i'll try to change that some day, but not now.

Thanks for the link, Deathbound!

That is cool! I've seen some of these heaters but never that control panel. Is that the heater made here in MN?

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a link to a place that carries Hogs hair carpet used in the Plymouth. I have a P10 sedan and it matched the original almost perfectly!! It's a little pricey, but it is correct!!

http://www.hirschauto.com/specialcarpet.htm Easy to cut and fit. Also use jute backing underneath!!

Hope this helps!!