Need a picture of Pertronix install

dogdots

I am a bit confused by the installation instructions for the 2563LSP6 into my 1950 Plymouth 218 flattie.  The instructions show to mount the ignition module in the same place as the condenser was removed from, but the holes do not line up for the screw to go into the center hole with the left hole over the nub that locates the condenser.

If anyone could post a picture showing the mounting position of their Pertronix 6 volt positive ground I would really appreciate it.

Thanks Fellas.  Looks like my mounting is a bit different.  I only have one nub and one screw hole where the condenser was, so I will have to cross reference my distributor and see if Pertronix has the correct one for mine.  My distributor number is iat-4003 chrysler part number 1343554.  No returns on the one I have, so I will modify the aluminum on the pickup to fit.  The pictures will get this one going for me, and I will find the correct one and order for a spare.

• Like 1

Awesome, looks like they have one, the 1362P6 should fit mine.  I have my Plymouth running now, after a minor bit of filing and reworking the holes in the ignitor aluminum mount.  I will order the correct one for a spare.

Now I have to buy a timing light, none of my other cars need one (all diesels) If I remember correctly, its timed at 5* BTDC without vacuum, right?

Every petronics I have dealt with failed within a couple of years. So far between friends and myself that installed them on everything from Vetts to old Caddis, pulled them out and went back to points. Make sure you keep a spare if you drive it.

Adam, I've had Pertronics in my boat since 1999 and in my truck since 2008. Both are still working fine.

• Like 1

Hopefully you got a good one. I changed 3 out this year on OT cars. All but 1 went back to points, the other went to an MSD. All 3 had the Petronix coil too.....

My current boat has factory GM electronic ignition so I leave it alone. My prior boat had points and I would never change that because you can fix points in the middle of the lake, can't fix Petronics. Not knocking Petronics, just suggesting to keep a spare.

Adam

I have had a Petronix set up and flame thrower coil in my Opel GT for 10 years with no issues. I wonder if the issue is with our 6volt systems and that they do not work well together.

The truck I referred to in my previous post is 6V positive ground. I called Pertronix before ordering to be sure I got the right components (coil and trigger), maybe that's the difference? Just askin?

I installed a Pertronix unit in my '64 Rambler about 10 years ago and never looked back.  It developed a cracked distributor cap once that kept it from starting on a rainy day.  That has been the only ignition related failure since then.  

If Pertronix makes one for my '52 w/12 volt neg. then i'll be buying another one.  Or maybe a  /6 electronic conversion.  That one looks good too.

• 5 years later...

Ok so I messed up and forgot which wire went to each side of my new pertronix 2563lsp6 for my 1949 D24 Custom.....can anybody please help???? The black and white dashed wire goes to the negative side of the coil and the solid black is supposed to go to the key switch....that's where I get lost.....help!!!!! Trying to get it revving up again to store......

Scotty, there was just another thread for almost the same issue. I have also installed the 2563lsp6 on my car and had a hard time figuring out the wiring. Here is a diagram another member provided me that helped:

1876533000_WiringBreakervsPertronix.jpg.92e788a32208ba108b41818250509366.jpg

I also just took a few pictures of the finished install to hopefully show it a little better. Does your car have the fluid-drive/gryomatic? That makes things a little tricky but isn't too hard to hook up.

20201102_173354.jpg

20201102_173302.jpg

You also have to buy and install a 7ohm resistor on the wire coming from the transmission. This isn't listed in the instructions they send you and as I understand if you don't do this then you may burn up your module. You can find the resistor here: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-Dale/RH0107R000FC02?qs=60jeK47to0qxpWjIbqfc%2FA%3D%3D and here is a picture of how I installed it on my car:

20201102_173503.jpg