No First and Reverse

mquinn

I have been searching various sights and this team of forumers seam to be quite helpful and friendly.   Appologies in advance as I have a P10 (1940 Plymouth Deluxe) but my experience many things carry over same until mid 50s - early 60's.

I use to have 1st and reverse but something shifted in my linkage.  All the bushings are new and there are no worn out spots in any of the linkage rod ends.  I think I just need a tallented person to teach me the way to get this rigged right.  It feels like the shift lever does not come forward enough and when it is full forward I cannot shift up or down.  When I "relax" it a bit - it goes up and down - but then only into 2nd or 3rd (have it up on a lift).  Same thing happens on the gruond.

I disengaged the front linkage and attempted to find 1st or Reverse by moving it forward or back - and was unsucsessful.  If anyone wants me to tell them how to do a mid 60's 3 on the tree manual - I can walk them thru that with one eye tied behind my back...   But this 3 in the tree manual has got me scratching my head!

Suggestions?

Happy Friday!!!

M.

mquin - if your trans is like the 50's I'm kind of familiar with, it is a "selector" transmission - the levers on the side of the trans don't work like the '60s three speeds you're familiar with.  Have someone move the shift lever while you carefully observe what happens under the hood.  One lever only moves a little bit and it only moves when you pull up on the lever - this is the selector that determines whether the other lever operates 1st & reverse (when you pull up on the selector) or 2nd and 3rd (when the selector is not pulled).  My suspicion is that your selector is not pulling far enough when you pull up on the shift lever.  Try shortening the selector rod, or push the selector lever on the trans by hand and see if you can get 1st & reverse.

• Like 1

My '40 does the same thing occasionally, the 1st and Rev lift mechanism starts to back out of its threaded hole in the shaft. I usually just tighten it back up. I have circled what comes loose

post-3602-0-90897500-1445037891_thumb.jpg

I had the same issue when I put the newly rebuilt engine back into my car. The adjustment for 1st and R is very finicky .  There is a thread from the past with more detailed information and illustration.  I looked for the thread but couldn't find it. If I recall correctly the vertical lever needs to move forward just far enough to allow the horizontal lever to "click" into place.  I removed the shift rods and moved the selector by hand underneath the car to find the approximate positions and then adjusted the rods accordingly.  It was a slow process. It doesn't take much to have them out of adjustment. 

Sorry I couldn't be of more help

Edited by Darbone85737