New here with questions?

Guest Dumprat

Guest Dumprat

Hi folks. New on this board but not at all new to old dodge/ply junk. I don't like restorations and think every vehicle deserves the right to be the best it can be, beside who wants to wobble along in the slow lane? Not me.

So that being said who on here has the hottest flat six? What was the combo? How much power did it make?.

I had an M37(Canadian) with a 251 with an Ellis dual intake two Autolite carbs a six into one header and a bunch of other small stuff that would hurl the old dodge to over 60 mph all with 38" tires.

I am now fooling with putting a 201 Plymouth drivetrain in my 34 Ford pick up. It fits great! And the Ford flatty is a pile of junk in my opinion.

Post up your hot flatty combo!

Guest Dumprat

I have in fact been searching this info for quite some time. Here and in other places.

But Mr Coatney I fully expected this sort of an answer from you based on reading many of your other posts.

• Like 3

no one here that I can recall has a flattie that has been on a dyno...guesstimations are often reserved and sometimes full off the chain on the exaggerated side...not running you off but if you were to read on the internet and other sites like the inliners etc you will see that on some of the larger flatheads that have been dyno tested they have not busted the 175 marker and that is with some all out racing application (less turbo)  The flattie is a nostalgic kick in the pants. when built and not really a tire burner.  They are built for fun...oh-ah factor and a bit of an attitude in sound..

there will be some that claim high HP but there is nothing realistic to back them up..it will be based on a lot of seat of the pants feel and nothing else..unlike many..if I am going to dump coin in an engine for power/speed I will start with something that has a good return for the buck.  that says bye to the flattie except as I said..oh-ah factor..then you cool down to your toes

The only one I know who has probably done dyno work on Mopar flat sixes is Tim Kingsbury.  You'll need to contact him for stats and combos.  After that, it's all guesses about what really works and how well.  There's at least one guy here that's put a turbo on his and he says it's fast but there's no stats, again, or if it's still in one piece.  The harder you push it to max output, the more likely it's going to come apart in little and big pieces.  They're tough and reliable doing what they were built for, same as that flat Ford you have little time for.

I have in fact been searching this info for quite some time. Here and in other places.

But Mr Coatney I fully expected this sort of an answer from you based on reading many of your other posts.

You are correct. I never actually help anyone until I am convinced they have done there own homework first. I do however assist in there homework by pointing them in a direction where they may be able to find what they are looking for. That works for most people.

• Like 2

The only one I know who has probably done dyno work on Mopar flat sixes is Tim Kingsbury.  You'll need to contact him for stats and combos.  After that, it's all guesses about what really works and how well.  There's at least one guy here that's put a turbo on his and he says it's fast but there's no stats, again, or if it's still in one piece.  The harder you push it to max output, the more likely it's going to come apart in little and big pieces.  They're tough and reliable doing what they were built for, same as that flat Ford you have little time for.

I made a phone call pertaining to this and I have been told by the builder that there are no dyno slips for that build

Guest Dumprat

One guy on the Hamb posted a runof 208hp out of a .060 over 230. With what he admits was a pile of junk with the wrong diameter header tube and to small of a cam.

And one would think with the info available from both Harley flatheads and Briggs engines making near 100hp that the primary dodge/ply site would have some hotter builds.

Guest Dumprat

It was linked from this sight. Moparsled was the guys handle. I PM'd him and he finally got the info out of him. He took the crank out due to debris.

He was running 171 with poor tune and ignition problems.

well for one thing...many here will not rev their engine to the working RPM of 3600 at which the original factory HP is rated without screaming "it sounds too busy"...anything else is like beating a dead horse..tire you out and run a good stick for your effort...again, number of folks have pepped these engines up with dual carbs, dual exhaust, mild cams and improved ignition...but as for dyno slips...have not seen any....racing slips..Robin in England was the last I knew running time trials.  No matter what you do to it, the punk kid in the Briggs and Stratton rail with the modified 5HP is going to smoke you all but good...I have seen these things run..

• Like 1

I made a phone call pertaining to this and I have been told by the builder that there are no dyno slips for that build

Tim did you call and talk with George Asche, which build were you referring to?

I bet you had a bit of a talk, George is not a 5 minute phone guy.

Did he give you any guesstimates on Hp and Torque numbers on the more radical builds He and Tim Kingsbury created?

Assuming it was George Asche you called, maybe you are referring to someone else, if so forget the question....

So that is it? Nobody has tried a piston swap? Big cam? Dyno? Drag strip?

I am seeing a lot of fuzzy dice and cry baby dolls. I hate fuzzy dice...lol

Here is a post in a thread I created on Flathead 6 high performance, it was posted by FHRacer, post #127 

Hello, I am new here , and have read some interesting things about the flathead Chrysler 265. Me, being an old drag racer always want to know , What will it do in the 1/4 mile? I have read every page of this thread and no one is mentioning weights, gear ratios, including rear end gear ratios, actual readings from a tach, or even oil pressure. I myself have been racing super stock Hemis and max wedge cars since 1972 and I am thinking on building a Chrysler Flathead 6 in a Willys body. I will be using all the same parts suppliers as I have used in the Hemis and max wedges. My machine shop is on red alert about this project. This will be my second Chrysler 6 in a Willys  that I own. The first one is still together and ran a best of 14.50 @ 91 miles per hour. It weighed 2860 with me in it, had a 4.78 gear in the 52 Plymouth housing, a 38 Dodge 3 speed tranny, went through the finish line at 5200 rpm. It was wound out long before the finish line. The motor was 60 over with 3 ford 94's for carbs, on a stock manifold,( reworked ), 100 thou off the head, a reground cam which I have the blanks so that I can grind more, headers. Absolutely no off the shelf speed equipment was used on this motor. This combo gave us 60 class wins, I still have the trophies, and many cash awards. This car has been retired since 1968, and sits about 15 feet from this keyboard. The car was driven to the track until 1966 and then we used a tow bar. So my question is , how fast are the big boys going with their new style "Speed Parts", on their flatties?

I did ask FH Racer to post pics and stories, but did not ever see any replies.
I have read about his Willys Aerostar and did see pics on another web forum, sounds like a fast little car for it's time.....

You sir have never talked to me and believe me I have no interest in the conversation with a guy who knows it all and whose expertise on the topic is do a v6 or v8 conversion! We are more than happy to provide dyno slips to purchasers of engines who have been promised a given performance promise. As for providing information for which we have paid for, either engine or chassis dyno information  because you want them, don't hold your breath. Sorry but your attempt to again be the expert act is getting old.

Edited by timkingsbury

You sir have never talked to me and believe me I have no interest in the conversation with a guy who knows it all and whose expertise on the topic is do a v6 or v8 conversion! We are more than happy to provide dyno slips to purchasers of engines who have been promised a given performance promise. As for providing information for which we have paid for, either engine or chassis dyno information  because you want them, don't hold your breath. Sorry but your attempt to again be the expert act is getting old.

You are correct, I have never talked to you...I did in fact talk to the builder..not the person who may now own said engine...at least he said that he built it...maybe your true argument is with him and not me.  Frankly I do not know just what who or when to believe some things.  Further I believe long ago when you made this huge boast of "north of 220 HP" on chat I asked for a dyno as did another long time member here...a number of people viewed that chat...you have offered up nothing in proof...I do agree 100% that you owe me nothing.   I would think that if someone had built a flattie boasting way north of 220 HP he would be proud to back up it with proof.  Regardless of what I think or have heard and I posted exactly what I was told by your friend/partner...your claims on this forum are very empty.  I have nothing more to say...burden is on you. 

So that is it? Nobody has tried a piston swap? Big cam? Dyno? Drag strip?

I am seeing a lot of fuzzy dice and cry baby dolls. I hate fuzzy dice...lol

It's been 1 day & 484 views (most of which are a few viewing it quite a few times) give it a year or 2 for a response. All kidding aside, this isn't the HAMB, as far as traffic goes and the hot rodders are a minority. I've got the usual bolt on crap on my little 201 ci motor, but even if it was a HP built motor, could care less about dyno #'s. My '62 Panhead is stroked & fast, still don't care about #'s....just fun to ride. Check with Earl Edgerton.....http://www.edgyspeedshop.com/index2.html

• Like 1

You are correct, I have never talked to you...I did in fact talk to the builder..not the person who may now own said engine...at least he said that he built it...maybe your true argument is with him and not me.  Frankly I do not know just what who or when to believe some things.  Further I believe long ago when you made this huge boast of "north of 220 HP" on chat I asked for a dyno as did another long time member here...a number of people viewed that chat...you have offered up nothing in proof...I do agree 100% that you owe me nothing.   I would think that if someone had built a flattie boasting way north of 220 HP he would be proud to back up it with proof.  Regardless of what I think or have heard and I posted exactly what I was told by your friend/partner...your claims on this forum are very empty.  I have nothing more to say...burden is on you. 

No burden on me. I could care less what you think.  Not to worry though  I captured that chat, the whole chat but hey I realize you never want to let facts get in the way of a good story, but then after 20,767 posts everyone has pretty much figured you out.  In terms of  your claims that you have talked to the builder of the engine in my car and some how you were told that engine is not north of what I told you, we both know that didn't happen.   But go ahead post another pile of posts about how smart you are and how you know everything, or how the world should prove stuff to you. There was a point where I might have posted all kinds of technical data, but then it became clear, there is no amount of information that doesn't have small minded people asking for more, or challenging validity or on and on.. So in the end, why bother.   Its why I am many many others seldom post on this forum. Because a few have spoiled it for the many.I only decided to post today because your post was an out and out lie. period.

Oh I am sure you will disagree and jump up and down and complain to the moderator..  Or have one of your other buddies with thousands and thousands of posts to their credit come trying to defend you.   It means nothing.  I am done posting on this thread and if this post gets deleted.. so be it..  I certainly wont let the door

hit my backside on the way out...   Besides I am sure the forum needs a lot more of your "instant expert posts" with little real experience beyond convert to a v6 or v8 over guys like me and the many many who have left this forum with real information to share.

• Like 1

I captured the chat also....it was 1/11/2015, Chance and I were talking upgrade of a car of his to V8 when you singed on and made your claim and accused us of being on the dark side.......my post was not a lie...George Asche and I talked in great length....he knew well the engine in question..the man told me in no uncertain terms he built the engine..that his guess on the HP was as you claim , north of 210 but no there is no proof of any kind and never was on a dyno.  The chat in question  you stated you had the dyno slip and never produced it.  I have followed a many flattie build on the internet and via other forums....some much larger engines in CI's and with a great deal of machine work that could not bust 175 on a dyno.  To that end I was curious only as to how the HP rating you claimed as being north of 210 HP was ascertained compared to a engine that was 43 CI's larger before any boring and yes their block was bored also.  Many folks come here looking for answers or builds that they may be able to duplicate and some are easily convinced of boasts.  To that end only did I care about seeing a dyno slip.  You seem to have fault with my upgrades, yes I like my engine upgrades because it is what I have fun doing but never have I boasted power beyond that of the published factory printouts and yes I even have posted the power curve of my engine.  I know that smacks flat in some people face but at least I still keep them Mopar...I did not mean to embarrass you here...I and others have only asked for proof of build.  As someone just sent me in PM form...posting a dyno slip is not leaking any secrets to your engine as to parts and tuning tips.  It is not a argument...I am stating facts as I was told...if these facts are in error..then they lie with your partner in the AoK Boys. 

Edited by Plymouthy Adams